Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   Pygmy Cory dilemma (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/pygmy-cory-dilemma-29181/)

MikeyG 09-18-2009 01:29 PM

Pygmy Cory dilemma

I just received pigmys today, 5 survived shipment. I proably should have ordered more, but oh well.:-?

My question is, should I order more pygmys, or just make my 10 gallon a Cory tank with maybe a couple danios in the middle, and get 3-6 other type of Cory. Here is what is in stock locally, since I'm a wee bit gun shy about shipping now (plus, it's $$$):

Emerald Green Brochis Cory
Cory Reticulatus
Wild Cory Davidsandsi
Paleatus Spotted Cory
Cory Arcuatus, skunk
Punctatus Cory
Green Aneus Cory

Would the pygmies take to any of these? Would getting a second group be overloading? If you would get a second group, which of these would you prefer? Or should I just bite the bullet, pay the shipping and order 6 more pygmies and hope enough make it?

Sorry about all the questions, and as always, I appreciate the advice!

aunt kymmie 09-18-2009 01:45 PM

What is currently in your 10g? Just the five pygmys?

On a side note: where/who did you order your pygmys from? I've been looking locally forever. How many did you order that only five made it?

MikeyG 09-18-2009 01:54 PM

Right now, they are all that is in the tank, plus 4 live plants. I plan on getting 2-4 more plants tomorrow at the fish shop I referenced above. I originally ordered 6, so I guess only losing one isn't bad, considering. Three of the lil guys went to one side of the tank and didn't move much, while the other 2 did the "cory freak-out maneuver", climbing the side of the tank and coming back down again, but settled down after a minute or so.

I ordered from Corys R Us Corys "R" Us - Aspidoras, Brochis, Corydoras, C-numbers, Scleromystax

I originally ordered the "Cory Grab Bag", but then realized 5 Corys of 5 species, while interesting, might not be the greatest idea. I sent a hurried email begging them to change the order to pygmies, and told them not to worry about a refund or anything. I expected nothing special, but to make up for the price difference, they included 2 cannisters of slowly sinking tiny pellets (pygmy size...lol). Considering I told them I neither wanted or expected a refund, I consider that great customer service, and will definitely do business with them again. When I can afford FedEx shipping, anyway.

MikeyG 09-18-2009 02:06 PM

Also, the one casualty was probably my fault...money was tight and I chose priority mail instead of FedEx, or I might not have lost even the one.

MikeyG 09-18-2009 03:49 PM

2 Attachment(s)
some pics of the new guys...forgive the quality, it's an $80 camera. One is of the group of 3/4, the second is one that has been under the plant leaf since he went into the tank :-(

Rohland 09-18-2009 06:53 PM

beautiful corys. I personally would get some danios or neons or something as dither fish. I am planning on adding this to my 10 gal planted aquarium, maybe. I have 5 peppered corydoras in mine.

Emerald Green Brochis Cory <- im pretty sure these arent the typical corydora, they grow bigger than average i think.. don't quote me on that though.

Personally I would get the skunk corydoras if you were going to get any. They are one of my favourite.

Byron 09-19-2009 02:49 PM

Mikey, let these fellows settle in before buying any more fish. I am speaking from experience with corys. More plants is good, they appreciate plant leaves to graze for tidbits of food. And a chunk of wood would be welcomed.

As I mentioned previously in the other thread, corys and especially pygmies do not travel well, and they do not appreciate being moved or disrupted with new tanks. So give them time to settle down, a few weeks. Maintain stable water parameters.

Use the sinking pellet food you got with them, one or two a day is sufficient. Don't be worried if they don't eat it immediately. I've had corys take several days before they would eat anything or act "normal."

And I am not trying to scare you, but honestly if all of the five survive past 2-3 months, you will be doing very well. These fish (all the corydoras species) settle in fairly well when the tank has been established for a few months, but less so in new tanks. This is due to often-fluctuating water parameters and water quality in new tanks. It takes time.

Byron.

MikeyG 09-19-2009 03:29 PM

Thanks as always for all of the good advice Byron. I guess with all of the reading I have done, maybe I just started liking cories, and got them too soon. Probably should have started with something easier, or better for new tanks.

For now I guess I will just get my plants, and maybe an Amano shrimp...they have them at Petco, and I'm sure I can keep one of them alive. :-(

If they do start dying off (and 1 more of them isn't looking well at this moment), and I don't get completely discouraged, I guess I'll just stick with a betta in a bowl or some tetras or something hardier.

Byron 09-19-2009 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeyG (Post 245408)
Thanks as always for all of the good advice Byron. I guess with all of the reading I have done, maybe I just started liking cories, and got them too soon. Probably should have started with something easier, or better for new tanks.

For now I guess I will just get my plants, and maybe an Amano shrimp...they have them at Petco, and I'm sure I can keep one of them alive. :-(

If they do start dying off (and 1 more of them isn't looking well at this moment), and I don't get completely discouraged, I guess I'll just stick with a betta in a bowl or some tetras or something hardier.

More plants will certainly help keep the water quality/parameters stable. Just be patient. They have a strong will to survive, and left alone they may do just that.

Byron.

nicholas987 03-31-2010 03:31 AM

Hello! i have found a lot of useful information from here. Keep up the good work. See you around.