Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   saving Jaws!!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/saving-jaws-2917/)

lioness501 01-31-2007 09:35 AM

saving Jaws!!!

so i revamped my tank today, taking out the majority of fish and placing them in a bucket. my little girl was hangin around harrassin them, i turned round and noticed Jaws(silver shark) about a metre away from bucket,on floor, rolled in fluff!!(think he was kicked by my little girl, by accident) his gills were closed so i thought he was dead. then i thought id give him a go, so i put him in the water and opened his gill with my finger nail(only way i could think)then as if by magic he started to breathe again!! so i held him for a minute or 2 then let him go. he was upside down floating on surface but still breathin. i held him again a bit longer, and an hour later hes back in the tank swimming around, happy as larry!! must have more than 1 life. hurray for Jaws! :):)
http://www.fishforum.com/userpix/757_DSC00040_1.jpg

Lauri 01-31-2007 09:38 AM

I would just keep an eye on him make for a while make sure he is over he stress of it all. Balas are great jumpers when i had to move mine out for a tank change I always place a screen over the top of the bucket with a weight on top so they cant jump out.

lioness501 01-31-2007 09:41 AM

i am keeping a watchful eye!! i didnt know that they jumped!! i certainly do now and in future will place him in my spare tank wen doin water changes!

FDStation152 01-31-2007 12:34 PM

just out of curiosity why do you remove the fish from the tank to perform water changes? why subject them to the additional stress? Unless I was doing some sort of massive revamping of the tank (like entirely replacing the gravel or something of that nature) I'd see no point in pulling fish. My fish seem to do just fine in my tanks without being hauled out into buckets for water changes.

lioness501 01-31-2007 04:07 PM

i did revamp including new gravel, new plants and features etc, i can assure u i remove the fiish in a way to reduce stress, ie no net. i didnt remove all of them just a few , i think leaving them in there whilst i was taking all of the gravel and plants out, then replacing them, would have stressed them more so. obviously correct me if im wrong but id rather not have gravel poured on my head or get squashed by a plant! wen doing a water change i do not remove any fish

lioness501 01-31-2007 04:08 PM

back to the original post anyway, 7 hours on he is back to normal, his breathin has steadied and he is swimming normally!!! hes a lucky boy!

FDStation152 01-31-2007 04:14 PM

Okie dokie. I tend to very rarely and with most of my tanks never do much in the way of revamping a tank so its not something I generally have to concern myself with. Then again when I'm getting ready to set up a decorated tank I spend the better part of a month thinking of how everything is going to be situated before there's even water in the tank so once its up and going I have no need to do much other than than put in a new plant every once in a while.

lioness501 01-31-2007 06:28 PM

this is my first large tank so its how i want it now, ill not b changing it again apart from addin more plants, so ill not b removing the fish again!

FDStation152 01-31-2007 06:41 PM

well thats good. oh and apparently one of my praecox rainbows decided to take a leap out of his temporary home today as well...and into the tank next to him!

herefishy 01-31-2007 07:25 PM

Sometimes it pays to be lucky, more than good. I hope your fish makes it. I've similar experiences before with a much more grim result.