Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Characins (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/)
-   -   Neon Tetra Disease? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/neon-tetra-disease-29145/)

Calmwaters 09-17-2009 02:44 PM

Neon Tetra Disease?

I have googled and googled and googled this trying to decide if this is what my new neons have but still am torn between this and a fungus can anyone tell me anything about this?

artgalnj 09-17-2009 03:36 PM

Is there any chance you can post a picture of it? It is SO difficult to tell between the different diseases. I had a school of black skirt tetras that got this horrible disease/parasite/tumor??? I could never figure out what they had. They eventually all caught it and each one died. They developed these bubbly type cysts on their bodies in different areas. One even ruputured. I think neon tetra disease has a cyst like appearance because it starts internally and works its way outward. A picture would be really helpful.

Calmwaters 09-17-2009 03:50 PM

My camera was here at the office so I do not have one right now but if you will please check back here tomorrow I will try to get one tonight if I can get a clear one. I went ahead and treated for a fungus because I am pretty sure it is the Neon Tetra Disease and since everything I read says there is no cure for it I figured it could not hurt to at least try to save the little guys.

Calmwaters 09-18-2009 08:00 AM

I could not get a clear picture. When I got home 4 more were dead but of the 2 that are left one is not showing any signs of being sick and on the other the spot is half the size and he is swimming and eating fine so it seems it was just a fungus and the med I put in is working.

Lupin 09-18-2009 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by artgalnj (Post 244702)
Is there any chance you can post a picture of it? It is SO difficult to tell between the different diseases. I had a school of black skirt tetras that got this horrible disease/parasite/tumor??? I could never figure out what they had. They eventually all caught it and each one died. They developed these bubbly type cysts on their bodies in different areas. One even ruputured. I think neon tetra disease has a cyst like appearance because it starts internally and works its way outward. A picture would be really helpful.

Your case is bacterial cysts. Bacterial infections sometimes involve blisters wherein the cysts are filled with dead white blood cells. A ruptured cyst will cause secondary infections and can kill a fish.

Lupin 09-18-2009 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calmwaters (Post 244975)
I could not get a clear picture. When I got home 4 more were dead but of the 2 that are left one is not showing any signs of being sick and on the other the spot is half the size and he is swimming and eating fine so it seems it was just a fungus and the med I put in is working.

Fungus will involve white/grey strands growing on broken slime coats or infected injuries. Fungal infections are hard to come by unless the fish has been mishandled. Your likely issue is columnaris or bacterial infection. Bacterial infections are more common than most people realize. What did you use to treat? The misdiagnosis by most companies seem to prompt treatments for fungal infections to cure most bacterial infections. One sure way to distinguish between bacterial and fungal infection is looking the sample skin under a microscope.

Calmwaters 09-18-2009 09:38 AM

I used Fungus Clear by Jungle Brand it says it clears fungus and bacteria the active ingredients are nitrofurazone, furazolidon, and potassium dichromate. I bought another box today to continue treatment but if this is not what I need I can take it back. Please ignore my other post under the disease section.