Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Gourami stocking questions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/gourami-stocking-questions-29126/)

TigerLily 09-16-2009 11:06 PM

Gourami stocking questions

Hello,

I'm on the verge of stocking my 29 gallon aquarium. The tank is already cycled and will be planted in the near future, but in the meantime, I have a number of questions about the fish I'm thinking of.

I've been looking at different fish both online and at a number of stores, and I find myself attracted to gourami's as a whole.
"They're colorful and beautiful! They're hardy and easy to care for! They don't require huge tanks!" Is what I keep hearing.

There are a lot of websites out there that suggest dwarf gourami as a good, easy to care for fish, and yet I have seen others that state that their popularity has led to mass breeding and possible health problems among the fish. Those sites say that other sorts, such as honey gourami, would be a better choice.

The questions that are really nagging me are these:
-Are Honeys a safer bet than dwarves, as some of these sites say? If not, what sort would be best?
-How many gouramis could my 29 gallon comfortably house, and of what gender?
-Would it be all right to add other kinds of tank mates for them, and if so, what tank mates and how many would be best?

1077 09-17-2009 05:41 AM

Were it me (and it ain't) I would opt for the honey gouramis for reasons you have already noted. I would probably have no more than four with one male if possible,and three females. Problem is, many times fish being sold are very young ,and fins may not be fully developed thus making it difficult to tell the sexes apart.
Small tetras and barbs in my opinion would make suitable tank mates. Maybe four or five corycats for bottom duty as well.

JohnnyD44 09-17-2009 07:26 AM

In my 20L I currently have 4 honey gouramis ( sexed as 1077 mentioned), 6 neon tetras and 4 cory catfish......everyone looks great and the blue neons really contrast kinda cool with natural orange tint of the gouramis

TigerLily 09-17-2009 11:08 PM

That sounds good to me. I'll call the stores in town and see if I can manage to find any honeys for sale near here and then add a few tetras down the road. As for the corycat suggestion, I've heard that they are bottoms dwellers, but are they scavengers or algae eaters? If the former, is there a tank mate I can get to help control algae on the glass and decor?

1077 09-18-2009 12:03 AM

Corycats are scavengers but should also be fed with shrimp pellets,brine shrimp,and occasional blood worms.
Algae can be removed from the glass with either a magnetic glass cleaner found at most fish stores or ,,by taking a clean paper towel and folding it into fourths and wiping downthe glass during weekly 20 to 25 percent water changes. A little algae in the aquarium is a sign of a healthy tank and many fish will nibble at it between meals. Decorations can be cleaned by scrubbing them with warm water and an old toothbrush.
For 29 gal I'd probably go with pleco that remains small such as the Bristlenose Pleco. These fish do best in oxygen rich water with moderate current . They also need wood to help with digestive process and MUST also be feed with vegetable matter to remain healthy. Many of them starve due to improper care.

TigerLily 09-18-2009 12:26 AM

Getting some driftwood and feeding with vegetables as needed wouldn't be any problem at all. :) The bristlenoses usually only reach 4-6 inches, correct?

1077 09-18-2009 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigerLily (Post 244930)
Getting some driftwood and feeding with vegetables as needed wouldn't be any problem at all. :) The bristlenoses usually only reach 4-6 inches, correct?

Three to four in my expierience with males being the larger.;-)