Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Black light - or colored bulbs? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/black-light-colored-bulbs-29046/)

zomblue 09-15-2009 12:01 PM

Black light - or colored bulbs?

I was wondering if a black light would be ok on fish?

The glowing lines on my dwarf gauramie made me think of this.

Possibly putting a blacklight behind tank for night-time viewing -
while maybe still having regular lighting in hood.

White gravel & glow in dark plants...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

While I'm at it - I thought of having an all blue tank too -
with the blue bulbs, gravel etc...

;-) anyone used colored lights?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I now have 3- 10 gals to play with, so just having fun thinking about decorating.

I'm a LEO & color is a drug to me - I can watch the tanks for hours! lol...

Calmwaters 09-15-2009 12:38 PM

I have Glofish in one of my 10 gallons and I have a blue led light that simulates moon light and they look awsome when it is on at night. You can get the adapter and the light (they come seperate) at Petsmart they I think were about $13.00 each but are really worth it. As far as doing an all blue tank I would think about maybe at least doing blue with while gravel mixed in. I think it would look pretty.

zomblue 09-15-2009 12:47 PM

hey thanks alot!

so many options for decorating -
fish are SO fun!

Calmwaters 09-15-2009 12:52 PM

I agree I love to decorate the tanks. :-D I wish I could make money doing it that would be awsome. Good luck with what ever you decide and remember we love to see pictures.

Ramenuzumaki 09-15-2009 03:16 PM

yeah i def would love to see pictures
i have a blacklight on my desk and when i had it behind my tank i turned it on and my pink substrate turned orange ;D it was so kewl
but i cant get the light in a good position to light up the tank D:
it only lights up the back of the tank so i only get like a 2'' line of orange substrate then the rest is cast in shadow :(
makes me sad XD

MoneyMitch 09-15-2009 03:21 PM

there wouldnt be a problem with it, you dont wanna keep a light on the tank 24hrs though, id say after you turn off the regular daylight lamps then turn on the night lamps for like 2 hrs then give them some dark time. too much light stresses fish, but i do gotta agree a blacklight over any tank would be insane. Money

zomblue 09-15-2009 09:42 PM

cool..ty all!
I have lights from when i was a rockstar lol...so i wondered about backlighting just for fun (sometimes) but
not like on a permanent basis.. my babys need their quiet/nighttime too..

don't we all?

Calmwaters 09-16-2009 08:42 AM

Yes quite time is a nice thing to have at least every now and then. LOL