Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   bba problem in both tanks (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/bba-problem-both-tanks-290010/)

rexpepper651 10-22-2013 10:47 AM

bba problem in both tanks

so ive been seeing a little more bba in both my sand tank an my dirt tank. dirt tank is getting a little worse then the other. i have both lighting set on the same timer at 7 hrs of light per day. i dose once a week with flourish comp. its started on my anubis and now its turng my jungle val brown. it looks horrible! i seen i could use excel but vals dont take kindly to that. ive had the lights out for 3 days now and havent fed either. not sure how to deal with this!

smit3183 10-22-2013 10:59 AM

What size tank is this and what kind of lighting system are you using?

rexpepper651 10-22-2013 11:06 AM

sorry you got to it before i was able to ad it. the tanks are both 55 gallon and im using for both, two t8 6500k bulbs, shop light fixtures. could it be my bulbs? just reg fluorescent phillips bulbs.

smit3183 10-22-2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rexpepper651 (Post 3262018)
sorry you got to it before i was able to ad it. the tanks are both 55 gallon and im using for both, two t8 6500k bulbs, shop light fixtures. could it be my bulbs? just reg fluorescent phillips bulbs.

Do you have floating plants? This would definitely help. 2 T8's over a 55 puts you at the high end of moderate and floating plants are almost necessary. I have this same lighting over my 55 and dose twice weekly but have almost complete coverage of floating plants and have no algae issues. The key is finding balance between light and fertilizer. I don't see a problem with your lights being on for 7 hrs. Maybe up the fertilizer to twice a week and a few floating plants.

rexpepper651 10-22-2013 12:06 PM

i have floating plants on both. ill have to move my filter outlet to try an not have them push the plants around too much. i figured too much ferts but ill try the twice a week as you suggested!

Boredomb 10-22-2013 01:06 PM

Smit has given ya some good advice so far. I had the same setup on my 55 gallon but my lights weren't shop lights. Still a dual 48" T8 fixture. I would get some NBA but mostly on my floating plants. I also had my lights on for 7hrs and dosed twice a week on ferts. I do have some questions tho. How old are the bulbs and does the tank get sunlight at all during the day?

rexpepper651 10-22-2013 01:10 PM

sand tank bulbs be will yr old in feb and the dirt tank the bulbs are about 4 months old. they get zero sunlight.

Ogre44 10-22-2013 04:01 PM

Are you using bulbs intended for growing plants?
If not, this will be a contributor as the light from standard bulbs falls mostly outside the spectrum needed for plant growth.
If the plants aren't using the light for growth, they won't use nutrients in the tank either.
The algae will happily snag the unused nutrients and subsist on whatever light it can get.

rexpepper651 10-22-2013 05:38 PM

havent had problems with these bulbs on my other tank since its been up and running since feb. they are just normal 6500k phillips light bulbs. i was actually looking into getting some zoo med ones from dr foster n smith. these bulbs i have now tho have been working just fine. my growth was fairly good till the algae game about.

Agent13 10-22-2013 07:32 PM

Just wanted to add I have a generally proven correct rule of t8 tubes need replacement every six months give or take if needing any UV benefit from them(and I have had a couple bulbs read too low at 4months and got replaced..but for another application however same applies here) . While even after the 6month period they are visually ok a solar meter will read shockingly low. Never tested the bulbs you have however and not sure if it's the same but instinct say ..yes??.. But also it's a good idea to actually stop dosing or half your dose as well as replace lights. Excess nutrients are part of the cause of BBA and if the plants all look good it is a good idea to see how a few weeks of smaller dosing goes or no dosing. You may be shocked that the plants do great without it. However BBA doesn't go away fast or easy. While doing all above mentioned I would also manually remove it with all water changes.

Best of luck :-)