Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Filter and divider recomendations

2K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  CTBetta 
#1 ·
I just purchased a used 56 gallon aquarium (30 wide x 18 deep x 24 tall in inches) and stand. I plan on dividing it into three sections, using black plexiglass drilled for water flow.

This setup would be for my three (3) male Bettas and am trying to decide on my filter options. I have always used HOB filters and was thinking of using two (2)Emperor 280 filters, one on each end with baffles to filter the tank with a 250 watt heater (Visi-Therm Stealth Heater) in the middle section.

I originally wanted to block off the rear about six (6) inches in, use a single filter (Emperor 400) and heater in this section, then divide the front section into three (3), however; due to the tank frame and center support, I don't think I will be able to get the plexi in.

Looking for some ideas from the experienced crowd......

Thanks
Gordi :-D

#2 ·
Wow! like 18 gallons for each betta.
Now I will use Aunt Kymmie's line: and if it was but its not!
I think you should just divide the ends for two bettas or maybe even two on each end if you divide each space in half again. With maybe a female betta sorrority with other fish in the middle. I just feel the space could be used better instead of for just three bettas. But its your aquarium, your ideas, your fish have fun!

#4 · (Edited)
ill draw you a picture because i dont know if you fully understood that... it was hard to make sense of it myself. it will be top view.
Text Font Line Rectangle Parallel

Also the filter can go in the middle of the bettas dont get angry with the current

Also, if you were going to drill the plexiglass make sure the holes are small, more small holes then some big ones because bettas try every way to get around them. Make sure their body cannot fit through the hole. You wouldnt want the females mixing with males, or males mixing with males, all=very very bad​

#5 ·
ill draw you a picture because i dont know if you fully understood that... it was hard to make sense of it myself. it will be top view.

Also the filter can go in the middle of the bettas dont get angry with the current

Also, if you were going to drill the plexiglass make sure the holes are small, more small holes then some big ones because bettas try every way to get around them. Make sure their body cannot fit through the hole. You wouldnt want the females mixing with males, or males mixing with males, all=very very bad​

That is exactly what I thought you meant.... After doing a little reading, I learned I can get 1/16 black acrylic plexiglass that is flexible enough to roll up and put into the tank through the opening I have:lol:

Now to design the dimensions and order the acrylic!!!!

Thanks
Gordi

#10 · (Edited)
#11 ·
well I don't know much about filters for big tanks.

However Byron has very nice tanks on the site and uses either Eheim Pro II, or Rena XP3 on his tanks. I don't know if these will be overkill for yours. But ill look around.

This is the rena.. Rena FilStar External Canister Filters - Filtration & Circulation - Fish - PetSmart

this is the Eheim Pro... EHEIM Professional II with Thermofilter for Freshwater - Filtration & Circulation - Fish - PetSmart

Filters are very expensive :|.

Ill have to keep that in mind when I buy my tank.
After doing some reading...... I decided to go with the Marineland C-360 Cansiter filter. I used to have a Magnum Canister filter, which worked great, but was a PITA to change out the filter and media. The C-360 looks to be much easier to use and fit within my budget :D

The nice thing is I could modify the intakes and outlets to suit my needs quite easily, since the hose is 3/4 ID hose found at about any hardware store or outlet.

Now to order the Plexiglass for the dividers, paint the stand and maybe be ready to setup this weekend if all goes well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.