Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   jack dempsey's (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/jack-dempseys-28961/)

xrayjeeper83 09-13-2009 06:41 PM

jack dempsey's

What is the smallest tank that 2 dempsey's can live in comfortably? Right now they are only 2 or so inch's long.

MoneyMitch 09-14-2009 12:24 AM

i would have to say atleast a 30 for him to be comfortable

xrayjeeper83 09-14-2009 11:41 AM

Ok that guy at the LPS told me 29 but I wanted to verify with someone else

NC Frank 09-14-2009 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xrayjeeper83 (Post 243156)
Ok that guy at the LPS told me 29 but I wanted to verify with someone else

That is way too small of a tank long term for a pair of dempseys. If this is a temp home then it should suit you fine for a little bit. I would say 2 dempseys when full grown would need a 75 minimum IMO.

willieturnip 09-15-2009 08:05 AM

Agreed with NC Frank.

A 55 gallon is about the minimum for a fully grown dempsey. A pair needs about 70.

You have got a pair right, not just two random sex fish?

xrayjeeper83 09-17-2009 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willieturnip (Post 243569)
Agreed with NC Frank.

A 55 gallon is about the minimum for a fully grown dempsey. A pair needs about 70.

You have got a pair right, not just two random sex fish?

Havent bought any yet, wanted to get info before purchase

willieturnip 09-17-2009 05:14 AM

Ah ok, great! That's what I like to hear.

I would recommend a 75 at least, with a male and a female. Two of the same sex fish WILL kill each other.

Having said that, I have one in my 32 gallon (along with two 3" texas cichlids and a 2" firemouth) and it's very happy. No sign of it going over 6" though. Been that size for a good couple of years.

You could well be fine with a 30 for a breeding pair, it's hard to tell how big fish will go in captivity.

Depseys are FANTASTIC fish. Superb predators two. I introduced 15 cherry barbs as dithers 2 days ago. There were 5 left yesterday. He just vacuumed them up. INCREDIBLY fast across the tank and very agile. Great reflexes.

Far better predators than people give them credit for. The 5 barbs I did rescue are actually doing far better in greasers tank!

xrayjeeper83 09-19-2009 04:40 PM

So if I get just one with a couple of cichlids will it off the cichlids. I have heard they are super aggresive

NC Frank 09-19-2009 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xrayjeeper83 (Post 245454)
So if I get just one with a couple of cichlids will it off the cichlids. I have heard they are super aggresive

Depends on the tankmates. In a large enough tank there are a lot of tough cichlids that can do well in a tank with a dempsey. I have kept larger convicts and green terrors with dempseys. I know people who keep oscars with dempseys and I am sure a red devil could be a decent tank mate. I know somebody who had a 250 gallon tank who has a Texas cichlid, red devil, green terror, convict and a dempsey

willieturnip 09-20-2009 04:56 PM

I have an oscar in with my dempsey too as of about 3 days ago.

Still no conflicts.

No two fish are alike though, which is where a lot of people slip up.

Lowering the temperature can also help calm aggressive cichlids. Bringing it down to 25ish from 27/28 can do wonders.