Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   Which Cory's to add to tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/corys-add-tank-28954/)

NCSUCarrie 09-13-2009 05:07 PM

Which Cory's to add to tank

Hi, I'm in the process of upgrading from a 12 gal bow front to a 36 gal bow front. Currently I have 4 zebra danios, 2 gold gourami (1 male, 1 female), and 2 cory's. One is an Emerald Green and the other I"m not entirely sure, but is one of the black spotted Corys -the best I can tell is maybe a leopard Cory ?
But my question is in regards to picking out new Cory's to add to the new tank so that they weill be more comfortable... Is it better to have all of 1 species (ie all Emerald Greens?) or if you have different types of Cory's will that be just as satisfactory ? Do some seem to get along better than other. The two I have get along just fine as far as I can tell, but don't really sit next to each other.
Thanks for all advice !
Carrie

Byron 09-13-2009 05:49 PM

You should certianly have more than 2 corydoras, and you have enough tank space. A group of 5 to 7 would be good. They are shoaling fish, and live in groups of their own species. In the aquarium they probably would prefer to have their own species, but they will "chum" with other species too. I have found an ideal arrangement is to have 2-3 of each species if you want a mix of species. So you could get more of what you have, or some different species.

The "emerald cory" in stores is sometimes not a true corydoras but a Brochis splendens; it is very similar in appearance, but grows larger (3-4 inches) than the average cory (2 inches) though some species grow larger. The larger the fish, the greater its effect on the bioload.

Byron.

Rohland 09-13-2009 07:18 PM

I think I saw those at Petsmart today. They were massive! Not your typical cory.

Rohland 09-13-2009 07:22 PM

also about what cories.
You may have to look around. Petland had a great selection.. (Should have went there)

There was skunk, panda, bronze, albino, and even sterbai. When I get a bigger tank it will be sterbai for sure.

Calmwaters 09-15-2009 03:20 PM

In one tank I have one albino (Gasper), one leopard(Spot), and one emerald(Esmarelda). In another I have 2 Leopard(Moe & Curly) and another that I am not sure what kind he is he's grey with large black spots(Larry), they all follow each other around all the time.

mags2313 09-15-2009 03:50 PM

Right now I have Green Corydora's and Peppered Corydora's....They all like each other and they are so beautiful and active..

I used to have Sterbai Corydora's as well... They are very beautiful.
My two species of corydora's seem to like each other.. But I think it all depends on the personality of the fish as well.

Good Luck!

NCSUCarrie 09-15-2009 10:01 PM

Thanks everyone 1