Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Growing Amazon Swords (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/growing-amazon-swords-289466/)

Captain Jim Dandy 10-21-2013 01:57 PM

Growing Amazon Swords

About to set up two corner tanks for angelfish..Wanting to have healthy permanent amazon swords and ludwigia, probably vallesnaria, maybe banana. Tank is 21 inches tall, 24,..other one Im inches on back legs, and radius. Other one a little bigger(55)..I think. What lighting would be good, /necessary?

Boredomb 10-21-2013 02:55 PM

What soo one tank is 21" tall and the is a 55gallon? Sorry just trying to make sure I understand right before suggesting anything?

Captain Jim Dandy 10-21-2013 03:05 PM

Dimensions

Sorry, was too general. The tank I actually have is right at 21 inches tall including trim..The two back sides are 24 inches, the front is an arc. In other words, it is one fourth of a 48 inch circle. The tank was sold as 39 gallon..I'm not sure. The other tank is the same shape, being touted as 55 gallon,..so I'm thinking its probably a couple inches bigger in general.

Boredomb 10-21-2013 04:21 PM

So they are like bow front tanks? How long are they?

Captain Jim Dandy 10-21-2013 06:56 PM

Yes, like bowfront, where there is twosides that go to corner, rest of tank a radius..that is to say..take pizza, cut into four same size quadrants..that is shape of tank. Again,two bTwenty one inches tall(deep)acksides,24inches long(each) and the bow(on 24 inch radius). One fourth of 48 inch circle.

Boredomb 10-21-2013 07:04 PM

I got ya now! Sorry!

Its a corner tank.

Yeah umm that might be kinda tricky to light. I have never had a tank like this before soo not sure how you would actually light it? *Scratches head* Will pass thosbthread on to others that might know. Sorry I am not really going to be much help here. :(

Can say the plants you want will mange in low to medium lighting. I have the same plants minus the banana plant (which I think does better with more light then that.).

Sakura8 10-21-2013 07:24 PM

The only things I can think of that would work are finding clip-on lighting or suspending an LED fixture above the tank. There are some great clip-on LED lights out there but the problem is none of them will be even remotely strong enough for tanks that size. They're all for micro or nano tanks at best. :/ You'd have to go outside the aquarium world and start looking at regular lighting. I would definitely recommend trying to find LED lighting of anything because incandescent, CFL, or halogen do heat the water and that can cause too many temp fluctuations when the light is on and off.

It's starting to look like suspending a fixture is your best bet.
Aquarium LED Lighting: LED Lights for Reef Aquariums

I found a great one that would work but it's $549. T_T

Captain Jim Dandy 10-21-2013 07:35 PM

That's about $400 out of line. But suspended sounds ok..

ao 10-21-2013 09:25 PM

it does sound like a challenge! does it come with a clear top/cover? If so, maybe you can get a few clamp lights and use 23w cfls :)

Sent from Petguide.com App

willow 10-22-2013 07:04 AM

i'm sure Dramaqueen has a corner tank,i'll ask her
and if she has ,ask her to pop in.

done.