Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   New Fish tank struggles! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/new-fish-tank-struggles-289306/)

deesunray 10-21-2013 08:13 AM

New Fish tank struggles!

I grew up with fish tanks but this is my first tank of my own. My boyfriend bought it for my birthday last month. Its a 37gal tropical aquarium. Everything was going well up until about a week ago. I had 12 fish and 4 snails. I lost 2 black mollys, then my dalmation and mickey mouse mollys died shortly after. I cleaned my tank and was told to add salt and a treatment for ammonia according to pet smart. All was good again for about a week. Then I noticed white spots on my rainbow fish and my other 3 mollys. This morning I lost 3 more fish. I changed the water, added salt,ph neutralizer and nitrite nitrate treatment but spots are getting worse. I dont know what to do! I have 4 fish left and 3 have alot of spots. My ghost catfish doesn't show signs but I am sure he is sick too. Could my live plant and snails be in danger? Please help!
Posted via Mobile Device

Tucker87 10-21-2013 09:13 AM

Good morning deesunray, i had a similar problem a little while back. Depending what the white spots look like on the fish it could be something called "ick", very common from what i was told. I am no expert and i am new at this but the aquarium salt is a good idea, did petsmart tell you to raise the temperature of your tank to 85 for approx 2 - 3 days. This is what i was told to do and it cured the fish. Also when you say you cleaned the tank, how did you clean it?

deesunray 10-21-2013 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tucker87 (Post 3253594)
Good morning deesunray, i had a similar problem a little while back. Depending what the white spots look like on the fish it could be something called "ick", very common from what i was told. I am no expert and i am new at this but the aquarium salt is a good idea, did petsmart tell you to raise the temperature of your tank to 85 for approx 2 - 3 days. This is what i was told to do and it cured the fish. Also when you say you cleaned the tank, how did you clean it?

Posted via Mobile Device

pennyls9332 10-21-2013 09:40 PM

idk alot about diseases bc i havent had a run in with it. but people go back and forth on salt all the time. sometimes it can help and sometimes it will hurt.
i would suggest doing a water test and try to get the salt out of tank. your plants should be fine but i dont think salt is good for snails. and while the people at petsmart can help, they dont know everything and most of them are not anywhere near experts.

Whiwem Dawing 10-22-2013 01:52 AM

Dont go to Petco. Honestly most the people there have no clue what there talking about. Id suggest finding a small mom and pop pet store or one that deals specifically with fish. Take pictures of your fish and take in a water sample to them to have them test it for you. They can also recommend a medication you can put in your tank to treat it other then just salt. Show them the pictures of your fish so they can see what there dealing with. If its ick it can be easily fixed with that medication. I used it on my tank but i cant recall the name of it.

willow 10-22-2013 02:11 AM

interpet 6 i think is the ICh treatment,
there will be information and help in the fish diseases section,
as many people have had the same problem,including me.:-(
if you only had the tank up and running last month,how did you prepare
it for fish ? as i wonder if you are having problems due to an uncycled
tank,with fish,
would you be able to say what your water results are..Ammonia,nitrite,nitrate.
any live plants ?
chin up,we'll help you get it sorted,and you can sit back and enjoy. :-)

puneetvijh 10-22-2013 05:13 AM

Treat for ich & increase temp.Part water change only required

Sakura8 10-22-2013 08:46 AM

Hi deesunray and welcome to the forum.

Can you describe the white spots on the fish? Do they look like flecks of salt or are they big blotches?

Also, can you tell me exactly what kind of fish you have in the tank?

I would recommend you stop using the pH neutralizer right away, as any chemical used to adjust pH is bad. It is not reliable and causes pH swngs which are far worse than the wrong pH. What is your pH? Just from the few fish you've mentioned, a higher pH is more desirable as you apper to have hardwater, alkaline fish (rainbows, livebearers).

What are the names of the other treatments you've used?

Agent13 10-22-2013 09:27 AM

This sounds reading through your post that your tank was not cycled. Assuming this I will say what you mast likely have is Ich induced by stress from high ammonia and/or Nitrites. Other common causes other then water quality are new fish bringing it from the store, drastic temp changes, fish that are incompatible stressing each other out and a few more reasons.
I would like to know if by chance did you change or clean the filter cartridge (I'm assuming you have a HOB ?) just recently? The directions often tell you to do this but to keep a healthy cycled tank thats incorrect. If you're not aware of how to cycle thats another issue we can help you with(and it is very important).
Now with all the stuff you've put in your water I'd recommend a huge water change.. 80% would be great. Make sure the water is similar temperature going back in. Also grab a bottle of seachem Prime water conditioner and dose two or 3 times the regular dose(I'm suggesting this to help with the most likely high Ammonia & maybe nitrites .. it'll temporarily neutralize them *thats the simplified explanation lol..don't want to get to crazy with details :-) ). After this crank the heat up to 86f.. this is all you need to do to treat ich. Leave it at that for 2 weeks. I can't say if it's too far gone.. but hopefully they'll get through it. Salt isn't needed and snails can't tolerate it. Medications really rarely are useful or needed and often can stress an already stressed fish more..not to mention you! PH adjusting products are 99.99% bull ..give or take .1% ;-) . Well the do screw with your PH, but they make it unpredictable and unsafe for the fish.

1 last thing..are you testing your water? if so with what? and what are your readings?

rsskylight04 11-08-2013 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deesunray (Post 3253306)
I grew up with fish tanks but this is my first tank of my own. My boyfriend bought it for my birthday last month. Its a 37gal tropical aquarium. Everything was going well up until about a week ago. I had 12 fish and 4 snails. I lost 2 black mollys, then my dalmation and mickey mouse mollys died shortly after. I cleaned my tank and was told to add salt and a treatment for ammonia according to pet smart. All was good again for about a week. Then I noticed white spots on my rainbow fish and my other 3 mollys. This morning I lost 3 more fish. I changed the water, added salt,ph neutralizer and nitrite nitrate treatment but spots are getting worse. I dont know what to do! I have 4 fish left and 3 have alot of spots. My ghost catfish doesn't show signs but I am sure he is sick too. Could my live plant and snails be in danger? Please help!
Posted via Mobile Device

Prob. A matter of water quality . Poor quality water leaves fish weak and stressed prime for disease and fungus. Try 30% water change every other day
Only way to correvt problem water without constant water changing is to bulid a good stock of bacteria in your tank. Takes time and patience