Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   Guppy Help (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/guppy-help-28902/)

Ramenuzumaki 09-12-2009 03:36 PM

Guppy Help

Hi! My brother had recently given me some Guppies and I believe that two may be pregnant. Their stomachs are sort of boxy and they area really big. I was wondering if i should separate them from the males?
i know about how they can be cannibals and will eat the fry my problem is they are all currently in a 5 gallon tank and two of the males seem to chase them and nip at them will they be able to give birth to the fry if the males keep bothering them?

EDIT:
should i take the males out and put them in a separate tank?

Ramenuzumaki 09-12-2009 04:13 PM

ok so my guppy is now dropping, how do you know when she is done giving birth?

Zoo Maniac 09-12-2009 05:17 PM

She will spend less and less time in site. That is when she gives birth and then she leaves and has the babies hide like nothing happened. or that is atleast wat mine did hwne i had him. Noticed i said when.

Ramenuzumaki 09-12-2009 05:54 PM

its hard to tell cuz the males keep chasing her around and bothering her :(

Zoo Maniac 09-12-2009 05:56 PM

Oh Might i suggest getting Java moss then to hide her. That also helps protexct the babies and will hav them breed even more two..

Ramenuzumaki 09-12-2009 06:01 PM

ok ill look into that, should i avoid stuff like Cycle or waste control or the aqua plus water conditioner while the fry are in the tank?

i have this algae ball that the fry seem to stay near there are also plenty of plans and a coconut that is normally used as a place to hide for snakes

i figured the fry would hide in the coconut
they also seem to rest op of it and ontop of my air pump thing

EDIT:
a marimo algae ball! thats what i ment :P

Zoo Maniac 09-12-2009 06:04 PM

Yeah most likely. Also Java moss grows really fast so youll only need like an inch of it. It took over my tank so my tank was completely full of it. Another downside the when its disturbered it brakes really easy and can realease broken peices so be careful of that.

Ramenuzumaki 09-12-2009 06:07 PM

it should be at any petstore that sells plants right?

Zoo Maniac 09-12-2009 06:09 PM

yeah i got mine from a petstore that closed down. I believe ive seen oetsmart with it once. Also i was wonderin if you could check out my tank photos in the Aquarium picture forum for Freshwater tanks.

Ramenuzumaki 09-12-2009 06:21 PM

how much was it if you remember? currently im unemployed so i cant really buy a lot of extras which is sad because im so addicted to fish!

also i looked at your thread you have a really nice aquarium! i left a little post for you :)

EDIT:

well my fry seem to be focused at the top of the coconut so i dropped a nutrafin staple food tablet on top its all dissolved and yummy on top of the coconut so im hoping possibly they'll eat some

i just counted like four times and i counted 12 baby guppies. i counted 13 earlier but i may have miscounted or is hiding lol
my camera is taking blurry pics so i cant get any pics up :( you cant see the babies!