Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Planning a partial water change (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/planning-partial-water-change-28886/)

jd8521 09-12-2009 10:56 AM

Planning a partial water change

I'm a little nervous today on doing a partial water change. I've never changed water in a tank this big before. All my other tanks have only had Gold Fish, so they are a little forgivable on water changes.

Would the best way to do this be load up my aquarium only bucket with water and water conditioner and let it sit for a few hours?

redlessi 09-12-2009 11:48 AM

What size is the tank? How much do you plan on changing out? If you use conditioner you do not have to let it sit, just make sure the water is close to the temperature of the water that is already in the tank.

jd8521 09-12-2009 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redlessi (Post 242123)
What size is the tank? How much do you plan on changing out? If you use conditioner you do not have to let it sit, just make sure the water is close to the temperature of the water that is already in the tank.

The tank is a 29g. I'm thinking 10% to change. Yeah i will defiantly let the water reach room temp. I always though you had to let the water conditioner sit for a while.

While on the subject of tank cleaning. Is there a specific style of scrapper/sponge you prefer to clean the inside glass?

redlessi 09-12-2009 12:51 PM

I have one of those magnet algae cleaners that I use for inside the glass but my snail usually keeps it pretty clean. As far as letting the water conditioner sit you dont have to. But I guess it could be just your preference if you want to still do it, jut not necessary.

JohnnyD44 09-12-2009 01:33 PM

yes, you do not need to let hte water sit if your using a conditioning product like prime or stress coat. If you are starting to change water weekly(which is pretty much a standard aspect of maintenance) you should consider upping your water change to about %30 or %40. It'll be healthier for your fish.

If you havn't already I would really reccomend picking up siphon of some sort....you can then run the water to a sink or out a window.

jd8521 09-12-2009 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyD44 (Post 242165)
yes, you do not need to let hte water sit if your using a conditioning product like prime or stress coat. If you are starting to change water weekly(which is pretty much a standard aspect of maintenance) you should consider upping your water change to about %30 or %40. It'll be healthier for your fish.

If you havn't already I would really reccomend picking up siphon of some sort....you can then run the water to a sink or out a window.

thanks! I dont have a siphon yet. I will most likely pick one up this weekend. I'll check into the stress coat too. I've been using AquaSafe Water Conditioner