Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   Thinking about doing a fiddler crab tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/thinking-about-doing-fiddler-crab-tank-28851/)

Herky 09-11-2009 04:26 PM

Thinking about doing a fiddler crab tank

I have a 10 gallon on my desk which I'm getting bored with. I already have a fiddler crab in it, with fish that I would be able to rehome. I bought a 50lb bag of play sand I was going to use for my 55 gallon, but decided to go with gravel. I would like to replace the gravel in the 10 gallon with sand, get 3 more fiddlers...make them a little beach on one half and slope it down into water.

I've read elsewhere that a 10 gallon can support 4 fiddlers happily. I've also read that it is best to keep them in pairs so for me it would be 2 males, 2 females. I don't know if this is true or not.

How deep should I make the water?
How do I keep the aquarium at the correct temperature?
How do I keep the water clean?
What would be a good salt product to use for making the water brackish or saltwater? (again here I see conflicting information when I read up on them...some say they are saltwater, some sources say brackish, and some say they can cope with salt, brackish and freshwater.) I have had the one that I have in freshwater since april and she's ok, but from what I understand it really isn't good for her.
Should the water be aerated with a bubble stone?
What kinds of foods do they prefer? (I feed the one I have regular tropical fish flakes, and she LOVES algae tablets)

I'm in unknown territory when it comes to these critters so some advice would be greatly appreciated. I have tried reading up on other sites and the information I see is conflicting, so I figured I would ask here where people have actual first hand experience.

Herky 09-13-2009 03:31 PM

Apparently nobody knows anything about them I guess...oh well. Going to do it anyway.

Twistersmom 09-13-2009 03:36 PM

Good luck!
I have not kept them myself. I believe they are said to do best in brackish and of coarse they will need land area. I have seen crab food for sale, that might be a good food to try. Wish I could be of more help.

Herky 09-14-2009 06:56 PM

No worries...I've had 2 of them since around April or May. The female is still doing well, and has molted a couple of times, goes about her business without a care. I think she would like a better environment and some friends though. I had a male, but he decided that skittering underneath the gravel vacuum was a good I idea and I crunched him and tore off a couple of his legs and his big claw...he lived for a few weeks after that but he wasn't the same... Other than that, they appear to love the flake food that I give all my other aquatic creatures, and the female that I still have goes nuts over hikari algae tablets. I put one in and she instantly zooms over to it and carries it back to her home inside the piece of driftwood I have in the tank.

I guess what I was really looking for was how I should divide the tank space...how much land and how much water and how deep were the main important factors. I'll just mimic what I have seen them kept in at pet stores and aquascape it accordingly.