Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Coral and Reef Creatures (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/coral-reef-creatures/)
-   -   Easy to care for anemone with medium lighting? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/coral-reef-creatures/easy-care-anemone-medium-lighting-2885/)

musho3210 01-29-2007 11:12 PM

Easy to care for anemone with medium lighting?

I would like an anemone for my planned clownfish tank. I've heard things about atlantic anemone, and how they are hardy and dont need much light but they say it doesnt go well with clownfish, only on rarer occaisons they will mix. So i was wondering if any other anemone would fit. The tank is a 20 gallon (i know i know but hopefully it wont get to big and if needed i will trade the big one for a small one at my lfs) I would like an anemone that
Requires not much lighting
Doesnt get to big or grows very slowly
Hardy
And ones that Tank Bred Oscelarias Clownfish will reside in.

Thanks!

Melissa 01-30-2007 07:48 AM

ok, well there are all types of things here. 1.No other anemone will fit in a tank like that. And no, clowns dont usually host in atlantic anemones but can if they want to. I have even heard stories of atlantic anemones eating peoples clowns and damsels. 2. oscellaris clowns like long tentacle and bubble tip anemones (2 get pretty big). 3. tank raised one will more than likely not host in an anemone, they were never introduced to it when they needed it so they wont even know what its for when you put it in the tank.

Why dont you try things like mushrooms....i have heard of many clown hosting in corals like mushrooms. Plus they dont reguire strong lighting.

Brandon 01-30-2007 08:53 AM

Be carful if you get an anenome because i've heard lots of people saying theye've get sucked into there filter intake or power head. Just try and get some foam coverups if possible. :D

usmc121581 01-30-2007 09:03 AM

If its in a pre built nano he shouldnt have to worry as the flow from to the back of the nano will not be strong at all. But if you make it brandon has a good point. I have had to shut down my power head dozens of times to let the anemone get himself out. That has never happened in my 120 but the little 20 I had up it happened at least once a month.

Glendor 01-30-2007 02:47 PM

Hmmm... A low-light loving anemone, that does well in a small tank... The only thing that comes to mind is a...

Aiptasia

:lol:

I've done very well with them, but I can't say my clown likes them, or my corals, or anything else for that matter. :wink:

I hope you find something that works for you.

CMonroe

musho3210 01-30-2007 04:32 PM

hmm, since mel raised a good point i'll just stick with atlantic anemone. If they dont host, who cares, its just like having another fish in there :) if they do host, even bettter :D

caferacermike 01-30-2007 04:57 PM

Not only aptasia but majano's as well.

musho3210 01-30-2007 07:08 PM

How about the pink tip (Condylactis gigantea), i know these need a bit more light but would 5wpg be enough for them?

Melissa 01-30-2007 08:08 PM

well musho, those are the same as the atlantic anemones. It is really up to you if you want to purchase one. We have told you that all anemones will outgrow a 20 gallon. So keep in mind that eventually you will have to get rid of it or upgrade to a larger tank. But mainly it is your decision to make now that you have all the info.

musho3210 01-30-2007 08:10 PM

when it gets to big i will get rid of it, theres no way i will be able to upgrade my tank since i will be going to college in 5 years so my mom doesnt think i should get a larger tank since im going to make her do all the work when i leave for those 4 years :P but im sure she will take good care of them, it will be hard to teach her those things though....