Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Cycling Questions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/cycling-questions-288425/)

JadaNae27 10-19-2013 07:59 PM

Cycling Questions

Howdy! I have recently started to cycle a new tank.

I have had this tank up and running for two or three weeks now.

I bought two 38 cent goldfish to cycle it ( As soon as I noticed a decent amount of waste on my sand substrate I gave these two Goldfish to a loving home with a already cycled tank)

The goldfish have been gone for about 3 days now and today when I tested my Ammonia It was at 8.0.

Whew! If those goldfish were still in there I'd hate it!

So. Um. What do I do now?? lol

keepsmiling 10-20-2013 05:03 AM

Hello, what brand and type of test kit are you using to test? Did you test more than once?
Now the next step is the Nitrite goes up, which may or may not happen quickly. After that then the Nitrite will drop and the Nitrate will appear. That is the end result. Then you are ready to do a water change and add fish.
You want to be using titration{liquid} test kits. API makes good test kits, or you can purchase an API master test kit.

willow 10-20-2013 05:16 AM

but if there are no fish in there,it will all have been for nothing ?
you needs to keep the filter fed.

sorry how rude of me....Hello and welcome.

keepsmiling 10-20-2013 05:29 AM

Yes, just came back to say what willow has just posted. A pinch of food every few days should do the trick.

JadaNae27 10-20-2013 11:14 AM

Allrighty. I have purchased the liquid test kit you spoke of.

It seems Ammonia has dropped to 3 ppm

I am now testing for nitrites.

Edit: Nitrite appears to be in between 0 ppm and 0.25 ppm. I've tossed in some flake food.

beaslbob 10-20-2013 11:50 AM

sounds like you're cycling.

I use live plants like anacharis and vals so the plants will consume ammonia during the cycle. Preveiting the ammonia spike you're experiencing. I let the plants condition the tank for a week then add just one fish and not feed for a week.

But that's just my .02

Boredomb 10-20-2013 11:56 AM

Just a friendly reminder that decaying fish food can kinda stink but you have to have a source of ammonia to feed the bacteria. Hence the reason you are seeming a drop in the ammonia. I would personally drop a couple of flakes every two days or so. As it takes a couple of days for them start to decay to produce the ammonia you are after. I would not drop many as they can cause a mess and introduce some fungus to your tank.

Boredomb 10-20-2013 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beaslbob (Post 3245913)
sounds like you're cycling.

I use live plants like anacharis and vals so the plants will consume ammonia during the cycle. Preveiting the ammonia spike you're experiencing. I let the plants condition the tank for a week then add just one fish and not feed for a week.

But that's just my .02

With enough plants you won't even see a cycle process beaslbob as the plants will grab the ammonia before the bacteria can. Not to say the bacteria won't form as it will just on a slow process. Which is whybsome call it the "silent cycle". There are many different ways to cycling a tank. One just needs to decide which way and stick with what works for them.

When using plants to help not see a cycle in the true sense you have to have lots of fast growers such as stems ans floaters and stock slowly. Other plants will work too but those are best for what the person to achieve the goal.

JadaNae27 10-22-2013 08:09 PM

Allrighty! We have progress!

I forgot to test yesterday, but I did test today!

Ammonia is at a solid 2.0

Nitrite is at 0.25!

Whoot Whoot!

JadaNae27 10-24-2013 05:25 PM

So um. Is this normal??

Ammonia and Nitrite are both at 2 ppm.

Today is the first time I've tested for Nitrate. . . Its at 15 ppm O-o