Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   How to plant plants? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/how-plant-plants-28810/)

teddyzaper 09-10-2009 06:36 PM

How to plant plants?

how do u plant plants? i have never planted plants before. i just oredered baby tears (already on driftwood) vals contortion, petite nana, and 4 leaf clover dwarf. i am planinng on ordering more but idk how much im gonna get. i ordered from www.aquariumplants.com could someone help me learn how to plant them please! i have a 20gal tank with the correct lighting ph and other stuff for the plants. please help.:shock:

fighttest 09-10-2009 08:37 PM

im pretty sure you just dig a hole and stick them in maybe an inch or so or atleast untill the roots arent visible. if its a plant that you want around some bog/drift wood just wrap some string around the plant and the wood to keep it in place. if you googe how to plant the specific plant im sure you could get some good results

teddyzaper 09-10-2009 08:53 PM

ty

fighttest 09-10-2009 09:19 PM

yw

MonsiuerPercy1 09-10-2009 09:23 PM

Yes just dig a small hole and stick the plant so that the roots are under the substrate. It is pretty much the same way that you would plant a non-aquatic plant.

CAPSLOCK 09-10-2009 09:54 PM

It's a fairly simple process. For most plants, just stick them far enough in the substrate to cover the roots. Some plants differ, but yoursshould be fine for the normal procedure. Just try not to mess about in the tank too much until the roots really take hold. You'll end up knocking them out of the substrate, meaning you'll have to replant them and they'll take even longer to take root. I had some troublesome micro swords and an oversized algae eater that loved to eat off of them, pulling them up every time. It took two years for them to finally take root.

Jewels 09-11-2009 09:53 AM

Plant holders

Hi there,
I find that if you have a plant that keeps popping up to the surface, you can get some metal soft wrap-around ties to hold them down on the bottom. Most aquarium shops have them to tie up bunches of plants, so ask there.
Cheers Jewels

teddyzaper 09-12-2009 12:26 PM

thanks for all the suport guys!

4F1HMI 09-13-2009 01:07 PM

it is a different thing for plants with rhyzomes like your anubias nana petite,java ferns and mosses. You have to tie them to a stone or driftwood and do not put their roots on your substrate for they will start yellowing and die. Plant the plants as deep as you can even though only a small portion is visible to prevent them from dislodging. They will make their way to the surface and root firmly on your ground. Hope this help.:-)