Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Large(ish) solo community fish for 20 gallon? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/large-ish-solo-community-fish-20-a-28781/)

Cry Havoc 09-10-2009 02:12 AM

Large(ish) solo community fish for 20 gallon?

Hey all,

I have a 20 gallon tank (24Lx12Wx16H) I'm about to start cycling and I want to start planning what will be in it in 2 months or so. One of my ideas is to have one large(ish) fish along with a small school of tetras or something like that. I'm thinking 4" would be the max size?

My question is: What kind of fish is there that doesn't grow too big for this size tank, doesn't mind going solo (or can fit with one friend in a tank this size) and wouldn't mind having some smaller fish around without eating them? Does such a creature exist?

Twistersmom 09-10-2009 03:22 AM

Hello and welcome to the forum!
The only fish that is coming to mind right now, is some type of gourami.

Cry Havoc 09-13-2009 04:47 PM

Great, thanks!!!

Any other suggestions are appreciated.

MoneyMitch 09-14-2009 12:23 AM

id say maybe a silver dollar and some giant neons

nomel 09-14-2009 01:35 AM

I say a silver dollar, too. Mine are growing pretty slow.

2 months for a cycle. WOW...little excessive in my eyes. Just add more ammonia if you want the bacteria colonies to get into place faster. Remember, bacteria grows nearly exponentially...just give it food and the system will balance.

Rohland 09-14-2009 01:39 AM

use seachem cycle to cycle your tank.
it adds all the bacteria to your aquarium that you will need. No waiting!

NC Frank 09-14-2009 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cry Havoc (Post 241075)
Hey all,

I have a 20 gallon tank (24Lx12Wx16H) I'm about to start cycling and I want to start planning what will be in it in 2 months or so. One of my ideas is to have one large(ish) fish along with a small school of tetras or something like that. I'm thinking 4" would be the max size?

My question is: What kind of fish is there that doesn't grow too big for this size tank, doesn't mind going solo (or can fit with one friend in a tank this size) and wouldn't mind having some smaller fish around without eating them? Does such a creature exist?

I have a school of bloodfin tetras with my kribensis. Check out the Kribensis profile on the Tropical Fish Profiles section of this page - that is actually my kribensis in the picture (they get to be about 4 inches and should be fine as the only "big" fish in a 20 gallon. :)

Let us know what you decide to get... and let us know what type of tetras you decide to go with. Knowing the tetra you decide on will greatly assist in determining a suitable tank mate.