Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   'Nother Newbie (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/nother-newbie-28755/)

SueK 09-09-2009 03:48 PM

'Nother Newbie

Hi,

I've posted a couple of times and figure it's time to introduce myself. I was into saltwater years ago, had a gorgeous 70 gallon tank full of wonderful fish. Then I moved. I couldn't save them and all the local experts said you couldn't be successful in my new town.

I lost all my fish, some were with me for 9-10 years, and was devestated.

I'm trying to do freshwater now. I don't seem to get as attached to them and it was supposed to be easier. I don't find it that way, I feel lost most of the time.

Right now, I have 7 Dwarf Neon Rainbows, 3 Phantom tetras and 7 Serbae Cories in a 20L. I've purchased a 46 gallon set up and will move them up as soon as hubby is finished painting the new stand.

I'm going to want a few more fish. I think some smaller, but not bite sized fish and ideally, something uniue and showey - an Angel or I saw some really cool hump headed glassfish. I love:

cardinals, but am concerned about water hardness
Angels, but worry about limiting myself
female bettas, but worry the rainbows may be too much for them
hump headed glass fish - may never find them again
White tipped tetras - but what if they're as boring as the phantoms?
Apistos - there's the water hardness problem again (my property has hard water, before you suggest I switch)

In the end, I want healthy fish that don't harass each other (with the exception of the male rainbows chasing the girls around) in a peaceful (and planted) environment that will calm my nerves.

Oh - lastly, I don't know anyone else into fish and am dying to just chat about them.

Sue

dramaqueen 09-09-2009 03:57 PM

Hello and welcome to FishForum.

Twistersmom 09-09-2009 05:45 PM

Welcome to the fish forum!

aunt kymmie 09-09-2009 09:31 PM

Welcome SueK! I don't know anyone else either that will discuss fish and keeping them other than my friends here on the forum. Thank heaven for the internet!! :-D

SueK 09-10-2009 06:46 AM

Thanks, All!

Aunt Kyimmie, I love your avatar. What a sweet face.

Sue

aunt kymmie 09-10-2009 07:01 AM

Awww, thanks. Toby's not as sweet as she looks but I love her anyway.
Tell hubby to hurry up with that paint job! How exciting that you'll be setting up your 46 gl soon. :-)

willow 09-10-2009 02:00 PM

hello there :)

Krinedawg 09-14-2009 11:54 PM

Hello and welcome to FishForum Sue,

I'm lucky enough to work with the person who got me into fish. Unfortuneatly my wife isn't that interested in our fish. So I come here to talk with these great folks about my love of this hobby.

Ramenuzumaki 09-22-2009 02:28 AM

WELCOME SUE!!!!! <3
*hugs4u*
glad to have you with us!
when you set up the 46gal be sure to take lots of set-up piccies! <3

SueK 09-29-2009 02:37 PM

Well, I'm set up, but still cloudy. You can see it in my aquariusm, but it doesn't look like much yet!

It'll get there, though. I'm enjoying it so much!! I sit and watch them every evening and the poor things are probably tired of me poking around in their tank, trying to get it right.

I'll take/post better pictures when the water clears (if the water ever clears!!)

Thanks for making we welcome. I'm loving this forum!

Sue