Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   What part of the filter media do I need... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/what-part-filter-media-do-i-28742/)

Calmwaters 09-09-2009 01:11 PM

What part of the filter media do I need...

to take out of my 20 gallon tank at home to put into a 20 gallon tank of a friends that I set up this weekend so he can get the good bacteria? My filter in this tank is the type that has a bag of charcol, a bag of white rocks, and a sponge. Also can someone remind me what the rule is on changeing these out to new ones it seems like if I remember right the charcol needs to be changed monthly which I have been doing but I can't remember what the rule is for the other 2.

Twistersmom 09-09-2009 01:41 PM

I do not run carbon in my filters, but if you choose to use carbon, It will need to be changed out at least once a month.
The white rocks and sponge never need replaced. This is where most of the good bacteria grows. Wash them both in old tank water during water changes, never in chlorinated water.
If one of them starts looking very raged and you feel the need to replace, only change out one section at a time.

Calmwaters 09-09-2009 02:50 PM

So which one should I put in my friends tank? The sponge is getting kind of ratty looking so I think I might need to change it. How long should I leave it in my friends tank?

Twistersmom 09-09-2009 02:56 PM

If your white rocks are not new and you have not cleaned them in chlorinated water, I would your friend the sponge and buy yourself a new one.
Tell your friend not replace the sponge, use it as long as possible. Hopefully by the time it has to be replaced, the other filter media will have established bacteria.

Calmwaters 09-09-2009 03:05 PM

His filter is not like mine it is the kind that comes with everything inside a cartridge. Can I just put the sponge inside the tank? Thank you for all your help.

Twistersmom 09-09-2009 03:19 PM

You want to put the sponge somewhere that has a lot of water flow.
I would try what ever possible to get the sponge in the filter, even if you have to cut away the media that came with the filter. You could also cut the sponge in half, so it lays more flat. Try to find room somehow.

MoneyMitch 09-09-2009 03:24 PM

if you wanna give him some of the bac to jump start his cycle get a nylon sock with some of your gravel and have him throw it in his tank untill his cycle is over much easyier than trading filter media for diffrent filters. Money

Calmwaters 09-09-2009 03:48 PM

What if I put the sponge in the bottom inside his filter and put his filter on top of it? I think it will fit that way but not sure if it would work.

Twistersmom 09-09-2009 06:43 PM

As long as the water is flowing through the sponge, it should work fine.

Calmwaters 09-10-2009 12:59 PM

Thanks you guys for all your help. This is what I ended up doing I took the filter media that came with the filter out then I put the sponge, white rocks and then carbon in so basically I turned it into a filter like my 20 gallon has which I think works better than the other kind were you have the cartridge.