Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Platy fish

5K views 17 replies 2 participants last post by  spammyann 
#1 ·
My platy is acting very strange. It's hiding and resting on the bottom of the tank alot. It's a small fish maybe 1.25 inch? I also noticed it seems to have little white specks on it. Kind of alot of the specks..but not something you notice right away unless your down there really looking at him. IDK..maybe it's normal these specks i havent really inspected the other 3 platty.

Anyway...not much info to go on..but ...what do you think?

#3 ·
hmm yeah it kinda looks like grains of salt...what is flashing? like when he moves it looks like shiney or something? is so...yes.

OMG...what is the ick? Isnt that something spongebob had?!?!

I have a Zebra fish MIA... just took the orniments our to look for it and its no where !

ill get back to u on my levels later ... its 50 gallon

4 platy
6 tiger barb
1 pleco
1 albino catfish
4 zebra (not including the 1 mia)
1 rainbowshark

i think thats all..they are all realitivley small

#7 ·
20 ppm nitrates is fine. Anything under 40 ppm is considered safe for most fish.

Wonder if the shark or catfish ate the danio? Or, it could have died and the pleco ate it.

I have found the heat/salt treatment to work well for me to rid the tank of ick. I would bump up the water changes during the treatment. Water changes will help remove some of the free swimming ick. You will just have to remember to replace the salt that was removed from the water change. Table salt is fine to use, so don't waist your money on fancy salt.

If you have any question, be sure to ask.

#9 ·
ok well im reading up all the cures for this ick stuff...*darn u spongebob!*

I do not have a heater for my tank...I live in florida and it's always 73-78 degrees in my house.

So...To cure this ick crap..my plan...

Water changes as often as possible (daily if possible)...

1 tbspoon of salt per 25 gallons...with each water change.(removing the carbon filter)

Hope to buy a heater for my tank tonight so i can raise the temp...1 degree per day.

Continue for 2 weeks.......probably will go slower on the salt though...let me know what you think?

My fish..arent supposed to go over 80 degrees I think....

4 platy
6 tiger barb
1 pleco
1 albino catfish
4 zebra (not including the 1 mia)
1 rainbowshark

#11 · (Edited)
I think all the fish would live through the heat, as long as you turn the heat up slowly and increase the available air. Make the tank as full of air bubbles as you can get it. If you use a hang on the back type filter, drop the water line to get more air from the filter.

If you go with meds, get one that says its ok to use on sensitive fish, such as your catfish. Better to start using it at half dose and keep a close eye on the catfish. I burnt the whiskers off one of my catfish using Quick Cure at half dose, has made me leery of meds.

Even if you go with meds, the heater would be good to have. If you use meds only take the heat up to 82 deg. At 82, it is to warm for the ick to live on the fish and they will start falling off. The meds only work on the free swimming ick.

#15 ·
Thats the bad part, some fish can have ick, but not be noticeably to our eye.
That is one reason to continue with the treatment for a least a week after you believe it to be gone.
It will also help in making sure all the free swimming ick, have been killed off.
You will want to qt any new fish after the treatment, or you risk bringing ick back into the tank.

#18 ·
Doing ok..no one has died...and no one seems to be getting worse.

so far im on track for water changes...1 a day since wed. added salt (going light on it)

I rinsed out the filter(sponge, carbon, bii-thing)...i know thats prob bad? oh well it looked like some gunk came offI(good bacteria right?) heh...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.