Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Help with water change and gravel clean (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/help-water-change-gravel-clean-28734/)

thechaser09 09-09-2009 06:41 AM

Help with water change and gravel clean

hey
i was just wondering when i do a gravel clean is that all so counted as a part water change or do i need to do just water changes on there own to remove ammonia nitrite and nitrates?

and i was all so wanting to know what is the best way to do a water change and have your ammonia, nitrite and nitrates stay down at a good level after adding the new water in ?
a step by step exsample would be good please

thank you

steelerfan 09-09-2009 09:09 AM

Gravel cleaning will serve as a water change, so long as enough water is removed, say 30% at least. However, if you still have ammonia or nitrites your tank is not yet cycled, so if you have fish in it daily water changes will probably be necessary, if no fish I'd let it be without water changes to let the bacteria get established.

JohnnyD44 09-09-2009 09:12 AM

is your tank fully cylced and established? what are you water parameters, can you get a test sample? based on that and the above post, you will be able to know to change your water or not to(if you're still cycling)....we'll go from there

Herky 09-09-2009 03:51 PM

Step by step:

1. Inset siphon into tank
2. Start siphon
3. Vacuum a portion of your gravel. I do 1/4 to 1/2 the tank a week. It isn't good to vacuum the whole tank, as this will disrupt the biological balances in the tank.
4. If you haven't removed a sufficient amount of water from the tank (the amount varies by who you ask, I do 1/3) continue keeping the siphon in tank until sufficient water is removed.
5. Remove siphon, unless you have a water changer.
6. Add dechlorinator/water conditioner of your choice.
7. Add water to fill tank, making sure the temperature is close to where you have it set for your tank.
8. Clean up and put your stuff away.
9. Repeat a week later.
10. Enjoy your clean aquarium and happy fish.

You shouldn't have problems with your new water putting ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite back into your water. It is possible if your water contains them as it comes out...but the best way to remove said substances are weekly partial water changes.

MoneyMitch 09-09-2009 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herky (Post 240823)
Step by step:

1. Inset siphon into tank
2. Start siphon
3. Vacuum a portion of your gravel. I do 1/4 to 1/2 the tank a week. It isn't good to vacuum the whole tank, as this will disrupt the biological balances in the tank.
4. If you haven't removed a sufficient amount of water from the tank (the amount varies by who you ask, I do 1/3) continue keeping the siphon in tank until sufficient water is removed.
5. Remove siphon, unless you have a water changer.
6. Add dechlorinator/water conditioner of your choice.
7. Add water to fill tank, making sure the temperature is close to where you have it set for your tank.
8. Clean up and put your stuff away.
9. Repeat a week later.
10. Enjoy your clean aquarium and happy fish.

You shouldn't have problems with your new water putting ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite back into your water. It is possible if your water contains them as it comes out...but the best way to remove said substances are weekly partial water changes.

im lost between step 1 and 2 :P

Herky 09-10-2009 09:52 PM

hahaha. I'll make a video and post it on youtube. #8 is optional too btw...you can just leave the stuff lying around if you want XD

buzz4520 09-11-2009 03:41 PM

i have to disagree some on step #3....imo it depends on what kind of fish you have in your tank. if you have fish like african cichlids and ca/sa cichlids or any other fish which are very messy eaters then you'll want to clean all the gravel/sand when the tank is cleaned.

Herky 09-11-2009 05:41 PM

You have every right to disagree if you want. Op asked for someone's opinion and I gave mine. Everything I've read says not to do the entire tank, so that's how I do it. To each his own.