Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   TFK.com Suggestions and Feedback (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tfk-com-suggestions-feedback/)
-   -   Subforum for stocking questions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tfk-com-suggestions-feedback/subforum-stocking-questions-287265/)

jentralala 10-18-2013 12:22 AM

Subforum for stocking questions

I feel like some of the most common questions people ask are about stocking, and I feel that since it's such a common question it should have it's own sub forum. IMO those questions kind of clog up the rest of the beginner section. I feel like maybe if they're all condensed in one space (with stickies referencing proper stocking, how fish behavior affects stocking, a link/warning about AQadvisor, how water paramters effect stocking etc) everything would be a bit smoother, and maybe newbies could more easily peruse what others choose.

Maybe there could even be a sticky with suggestions for certain tank sizes (10, 20, 29, 55, etc) and fish best suited to them depending on soft, moderate, or hard water.

Chesh 10-18-2013 11:21 PM

JENNNNN!!!! Always a pleasure to see your (kitty's) face! ^_^

I agree with you! Stocking is SUCH a tricky subject. . . and there are so many ways to do it right (or wrong o.O) I'll add this to the Giant List of Things to Ponder, lol. We're still a bit away from making changes to the forum layout, but it's coming, so keep the suggestions rolling, please - love to hear your thoughts. We've had suggestions for substrate, algae, and lighting areas as well.

Adding new subforums seems to be just a bit of a double-edged sword - we don't want to end up with 'dead' subforums, where posts are left unanswered because nobody wanders there, but at the same time having all similar questions together could save a lot of time, and possibly prevent the same question being repeated over and over. *ponders*

As for your tank size/recommendations suggestion O.O Crackin' the whip, neh? As awesome as it would be to HAVE something like that. . . the thought of creating such a thing is more than a bit daunting! I guess if you stuck to the most commonly found in pet shop fish that would narrow it down a bit. . . when we get our reference team up and running I'll be sure to see what they think about it.

Thanks for your thoughts, darlin' and keep them coming!

jentralala 10-19-2013 05:58 PM

Y'know, going along that sort of thinking it would be interesting to see what fish people have commonly available to them, if we could have members post exact species their LFS offer for sale, just to see what's really widely available. I'm actually really curious to see o.0

But yeah, sticking with common, easy to care for, non aggressive community fish. Probably stay away from African cichlids, maybe have a sticky just for that written by someone who's taken care of them.

I just mean like the safe fish, like rasboras, tetras, plecos (OMG for SURE have a big warning about goldies and plecos...!!), etc. Links to profiles of each fish...it would actually be kind of fun to do!

keepsmiling 10-19-2013 07:06 PM

Nice to see another central Floridian, and great ideas!

willow 10-20-2013 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jentralala (Post 3242193)
Y'know, going along that sort of thinking it would be interesting to see what fish people have commonly available to them, if we could have members post exact species their LFS offer for sale, just to see what's really widely available. I'm actually really curious to see o.0

we could start a little thread in the freshwater section,like a post
some time ago about what we did wrong when we first started fish keeping. ??

Chesh 10-20-2013 03:36 PM

heehee, go for it! It would be interesting to see the differences in 'common fish' from place to place. And *IF* we end up doing something completely insane (though awesome) like Jen's tank size stocking guide, we'll already have a list compiled to get started with.

I could be wrong, but I'm guessing we'll be seeing more or less the same animals available 'commonly.' At least here in the US, because of the farms the animals are coming from. We also have chain shops like PetSmart who all carry more or less the same animals. I do have to wonder how different *our* list would be from what Willow sees across the pond. I know there are some things - like JellyBean Tetra (from what I've been told, anyway) that aren't very easy to find Stateside, but are very common in the UK.

Link here whenever you start the thread, so I can stalk it!!! ^__^ Now I gotta know!!!

willow 10-20-2013 03:47 PM

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...1/#post3247081

here ya go....:lol:

and for all that are Lurkers...no cheating !!! coz i'll see !!

Chesh 10-20-2013 04:57 PM

I am 50% lurker! You can't change that! >.<
I use the like button an AWFUL lot, tho. So I'm kind of transparent in my lurking. If it helps?

willow 10-20-2013 05:03 PM

no lurking allowed..coz no ones playing :-(

Chesh 10-20-2013 05:10 PM

oh noes! I play!