Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   A site that will help you determine how much you can stock (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/site-will-help-you-determine-how-28712/)

yhbae 09-08-2009 07:21 PM

A site that will help you determine how much you can stock

Hi guys,

I have been doing aquarium hobby for over 7 years now and have had some idea on a computer program that can help me determine how to stock my own tanks.

I've recently created a site that can help you determine how much you can stock for your given tank. This is something I coded using my own spare time and it is far from complete. If you are interested, please try this out:

AqAdvisor

Please feel free to leave any comments. I do plan to update the site approx. once every week or so.

Just to give you some feeling, this program does NOT use a simple formula such as inch per gallon. It maintains a significant DB of fishes with 19 attributes per each species. Each species also features its own bioload for their given sizes hence not all fishes are handled the same. Surface area of the water is more important than the total volume of the tank.

Thanks!

fighttest 09-08-2009 07:38 PM

it doesnt allow me to put in my filter

yhbae 09-08-2009 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fighttest (Post 240401)
it doesnt allow me to put in my filter

Sorry that was misleading in the application. I've changed it to "Search String". It allows you to enter a portion of a species name so that you can locate them easily from the list. As an example, you can type "cory" and it will narrow down the list with only those whose names contain the word "cory".

redlessi 09-08-2009 10:04 PM

I think the site is an excellent tool to assist with stocking your tank. Very informative. I bookmarked it and will share it with others if that is ok with you.

Awesome!!!!

yhbae 09-08-2009 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redlessi (Post 240516)
I think the site is an excellent tool to assist with stocking your tank. Very informative. I bookmarked it and will share it with others if that is ok with you.

Awesome!!!!

Excellent! :-D Please do share the URL with others.

redlessi 09-09-2009 10:04 PM

it appears that compatibility was not included in the program..........

yhbae 09-09-2009 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redlessi (Post 241006)
it appears that compatibility was not included in the program..........

Not yet. DB has the attributes but the program doesn't use them yet. It will detect if fishes are too large for the given tank size for now.

redlessi 09-10-2009 08:20 AM

I still think that it is a wonderful program and I am sure when you are done it will do everything..................

yhbae 09-10-2009 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redlessi (Post 241127)
I still think that it is a wonderful program and I am sure when you are done it will do everything..................

Thanks and I hope so too... :-P

Nuttawet 09-11-2009 07:03 AM

What is the meaning of Your tank is 72% stocked? Is it mean that it's 72% full?