Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Junk Days 55 gallon restoration - part 1 (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/junk-days-55-gallon-restoration-part-28682/)

Herky 09-07-2009 09:54 PM

Junk Days 55 gallon restoration - part 1

4 Attachment(s)
So here it is, my free 55 gallon that some soul didn't want and left out on the corner. I don't have pics of it when I first got it, but rest assured it was pretty disgusting. Lots of green... I basically stored it in my nephews garage all summer. It wasn't exactly pristine after sitting in there either...

But the first thing I've done (aside from cleaning it like mad this morning) is to do a spray on background.

Materials used:

1 can Krylon Make It Stone paint in black granite color.
1 can Krylon Make It Last clear coat sealer.
1 roll blue masking tape
Hot soapy water, rubbing alcohol.
Some old newspaper.

I started off by cleaning the back of the aquarium with hot soapy water, and then wiped it down with a cloth soaked in rubbing alcohol. I got the alcohol idea from my mom, who does a lot of arts and crafts stuff with paint. According to her it would remove any of the remaining grease and oils left on the glass, and it did do a really good job.

Second, mask out the back of the tank and cover any areas potentially sprayed with the paint. (pretty self explanatory).

Applied paint, waited a little over six hours. Applied clear coat, waited an hour and a half.

Done. Here are some pics. I think it turned out really well, I'm very happy with it.

Twistersmom 09-07-2009 10:04 PM

Looks great! Love the way it turned out!

MoneyMitch 09-07-2009 10:05 PM

Wow that turned out pretty cool, i like the end result thanks for postin about it :D makes me wonder if i should do it to mine or just keep the backround i got. great post btw

Herky 09-07-2009 10:09 PM

Next up is the sand...you wanna come do it for me money? haha I'll spray paint your tank if you clean my sand.

MoneyMitch 09-07-2009 10:16 PM

hahaha sounds like i get the short end of the stick there lol, my best tip for the sand is the more rinseing the better it gets. now dont quote me on this but im pretty sure you cant wash it enough to get it all to settle immeadeatly. i mean even mine clouds the tank after i get done messing around with it. i will say this though after i filled it with the water and actually arranged the rocks it was pretty cloudy for about a water and after that crystal clear. i ended up rinsein off the filter pads afterwords though cause they had collected pretty much everything trhat was floatin. Money

Herky 09-07-2009 10:22 PM

haha yeah, not a fair deal. I plan on spending next weekend getting the sand done, and gathering up the lighting, glass tops, filtration and other stuff I need to set it up. Got quite a bit of work ahead of me. The pic in your sand tutorial thread looks amazing though...I can't wait.

MoneyMitch 09-07-2009 10:28 PM

cool cool man, for now im not gunna reveal the tank with everything set up since there arent any fish yet, and im still trying to figure out my lighting situation in another thread.

aunt kymmie 09-07-2009 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twistersmom (Post 240018)
Looks great! Love the way it turned out!

To the tune of Smokey Robinson & The Miracles: I second that emotion!