Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Coral and Reef Creatures (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/coral-reef-creatures/)
-   -   Possible Mantis shrimp?! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/coral-reef-creatures/possible-mantis-shrimp-28679/)

racingtiger03 09-07-2009 08:35 PM

Possible Mantis shrimp?!

OK, when I got my very first set of LR after a few days I noticed a little green backed thing I ID'ed as some sort of shrimp, and later a juvenile mantis shrimp. Now almost two months later, I've found a thing wandering about the rockwork at night that darts from the light. For the first time tonight I got a good look at it.

Looks like a large amphipod (VERY LARGE if it is indeed an amphipod) It is about 1/4" thick, and 1" long. brown spine (honestly identical to the amphipods I have seen just huge..)

Is this a mantis shrimp? And if so what can I do about it with it being just a touch over two months old? Will I get luck and it wander into my pistol shrimps territory and get eaten? How long do I have before it fully develops and starts going after my fish?!

If it is a mantis shrimp, and I can catch it, there is a LFS that will take/buy it to sell.

saltyveins 09-07-2009 09:19 PM

I think your mantis could probably take out your pistol shrimp. The mantis are very tough and can kill or severely wound smaller fish in the blink of an eye. A friend of mine purposly put one in is "nano preditor" tank and it has taken over. They have very very sharp retractable claws that flick out at prey. They are also very territorial so they will attack even larger animals if they come too close. They vary in color and size. I think they are very intersting but overall bad for your other tank mates. If you can pick the LR out of the tank you can hopefully just grab out to him, he may "swing" at you though... dosn't hurt too bad. I've been cut up a few times but it is more starteling than painful. Good Luck
P.S. be happy its not a reef mantis they can grow to 7" and really hurt you.

racingtiger03 09-09-2009 08:14 PM

So the thing I described is a mantis shrimp? Wonderful... Problem is, there is no way to id which live rock he is in, and I have various things living on all my liverock, that I don't think can handle being out of the water for long enough to drag him out too.. Any other ways to get rid of it?

MonsiuerPercy1 09-09-2009 09:46 PM

This probably won't work but there are plans for building fish traps out of 2 liter bottles. Look online, and it might work. Hopefully. Good luck!

racingtiger03 09-09-2009 10:26 PM

I'll take a look into that and run by the LFS that accepts mantis shrimp tomorrow to see if they can offer me help if I bring them the shrimp afterwards. (I use a different LFS for supplies, fish, coral and anything else really..) I caught them out on a rock about an hour ago though! Two of the buggers #!$%!^, yunk the rock and tried getting them out with blasts of FW. All the while submerged in a gallon container of SW from the main tank because this particular rock had a couple coral/sponges/other live things that I didn't want to lose!.. I wish they would take up resident in some of the base rock that is just starting to seed :( its much more porous than the gulf LR!!!

Kellsindell 09-17-2009 10:01 PM

you shouldn't see them out during lighted hours. They are mostly nocturnal and any light is more then they want. That being said, if they are a peacock mantis, then they do like light and can get up to 7-8". If you don't want them and can't find a buyer, I can pay for shipping here :-D. What color are they?

racingtiger03 09-17-2009 10:06 PM

they are more brown than anything. Like I said they basically look like huge amphipods. I have only seen one of them recently.. and they both definitely hate light, usually my mini LED is enough to make them dart for cover. Sometimes I can catch them just outside their favorite spots and they don't mind the light so I can take a good look at them. No problems out of either of them yet, but I want to get them out before they go after my clowns!

Kellsindell 09-17-2009 10:10 PM

And that very well could happen. If you hear clicking that normally means you have a mantis (FYI for the future). There are mantis traps out there. My lFS sells these too.

racingtiger03 09-17-2009 10:14 PM

Yeah, I've been looking into a few traps. No real info on what works best though when you dont really have a place to put teh trap near the mantis's stomping grounds. I haven't heard any clicking from the tank aside from the popping from my pistol shrimp. Both mantis's at this point (last I saw) were less than one inch in length

Kellsindell 09-18-2009 10:22 PM

Then i would say just grab at them. They can't cause too much damage being so small. Once they do get big it will hurt... a lot!