Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   best way to to grow a loach group (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/best-way-grow-loach-group-286458/)

willow 10-16-2013 04:43 PM

best way to to grow a loach group

i'm sitting pondering this question.
loaches are best in groups...this i know..what i wonder is
is it ok to build the group slowly, say start with two,with every intention
of getting more...or buy them all together.?

badxgillen 10-16-2013 08:46 PM

What kind of loaches? I know with kuhlis it seems to be just fine adding later. Then there is the skunks and tiger loaches that seem to not prefer new arrivals so much.It also seems to not matter so much when they are still young but can they can be a little bit more rambunctious when they are larger for instance the lochatas. Depends on the loach, but this is just from my loach experiences.

willow 10-17-2013 02:21 AM

thanks for your input,it really helps,
yoyo loaches were a thought,as were the smaller loaches,
i just thought that perhaps buying a variety of fish,rather than one
group at a time.

badxgillen 10-17-2013 10:38 AM

Striatas,and dario usually are good with new arrivals and they both look good,don't get too big,and clean up the snails.

thekoimaiden 10-17-2013 11:26 AM

I've never had an issue with adding to the group at a later time with my kuhlies. But I would caution against starting out with too small of a group. They tend to hide a lot more when there are only like 2-4 of them around.

willow 10-17-2013 03:18 PM

how many would i need in my tank then lol ? a whole town :lol:
well if the water change goes to plan this weekend,i hope to go
shopping next week :-)
thanks for replying guys.

Lupin 10-24-2013 08:59 AM

Lainey, just grow them together but expect runts. It happens a lot when some are unable to compete well with others.

Which species do you plan to get? Skunks and tigers will practically rip though a community. If you are looking for yoyos, these will not shy away even if kept alone. And kuhlis are best kept by themselves. They will not do well with any Botia at all.

Agent13 10-24-2013 10:42 AM

Well first how big is your tank and who else is in there?

They really aren't shy fish (depending on your tank setup and tank mates). I see no reason or benefit to waiting unless there just aren't enough at your store at the moment. I'd get at least fish..or even more if your tank can support it. Lupin is so right, there is almost always going to be a runt. However I don't really believe thats from not being allowed to eat as much as my tank with loaches is overfed out of the curiosity of that very thing. Still food left over hours later and everyone eats and there is a runt in each group..the Zebra loaches, the Yoyos and even the gigantic cory group.
Well anyway I personally wouldn't like to start with just two because the seem so much more excited and boisterous with more. And they take fine to new additions.. dare I say it seems like they even like a greeting committee and settle into the group within minutes. They enjoy plants and other things all over the tank to sleep or rest on and to climb and investigate.

jaysee 10-24-2013 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badxgillen (Post 3227586)
Striatas,and dario usually are good with new arrivals and they both look good,don't get too big,and clean up the snails.

Aint that the truth. The zebras have decimated the MTS population since moving them to the 125. I've never had an issue adding additional loaches, but I've only kept the peaceful ones. Like was said, the blue botia, skunk, tiger, etc. are much more aggressive and territorial with each other.

Even with adding to the more peaceful species, a fight is likely to happen, especially if you've got an alpha fish in the bag. Loaches fight for dominance from time to time as it is, so that much can be expected. I think the difference is that yoyos, angelicus, zebra, queen, etc loaches don't have that territorial component so all is well once they sort things out.

I keep kuhlis with zebra and angelicus loaches. They do just fine together.

Willow - I don't see you keeping any fish where it matters how you add them. I would try to get at least 4 to start though... with the expectation of adding more.

Agent13 10-24-2013 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent13 (Post 3274705)
I'd get at least fish..or even more if your tank can support it.

Yes, I'm quoting myself -_- don't judge
I forgot to add the # in that sentence lol... *5* is what I was going for.. oops

So as it turns out what were labeled Angelicus botia (which I was doubting) have as I suspected turned out to be Yoyos.