Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Breeding Green Terrors (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/breeding-green-terrors-28644/)

jakezori 09-07-2009 12:35 AM

Breeding Green Terrors

I finally got my 90 set up and I have chosen to breed green terrors in it. Before getting them however I'd like advice =).

What food do you all suggest? What flake, live, and pellet?

Can any other fish be in the 90 gallon with 1 male and 1 female green terror? If so, what fish?

Are there any low light, low maintenance plants they wont gobble up?

If I get a male and a female when they are both around 5" how likely is it that they will breed within 6 months?

What temperatures and water levels are good for them to breed in? The water where I live is very hard and alkaline, which I obviously know is not what they like, but how much should I screw with the water chemistry and what should I use to do so? RO and water softener?

I'd love some tips on breeding them if you have any.

Rohland 09-07-2009 12:52 AM

I first would work on creating a suitable home for them, where they can grow and be happy before you focus on conditioning them and making them breed right off the bat. There is a lot to think about like who is going to take all the babies after you spawn.

jakezori 09-07-2009 12:53 AM

Believe me I've already done all of that kind of stuff =)

1077 09-07-2009 02:01 AM

In my view , It would serve you well to first determine exactly what the ph and alkalinity of your water is before attempting to breed any species of fish. While many fish can be acclimated to differing water parameters,some cannot adapt to water parameters too different than those recommended for varying species. There is in my view,a significant difference between acclimation, and adaptation. While fish can be acclimated to your water,they may not adapt well. The result 's could be shorter lifespans,more suceptibility to bacterial pathogens and or parasites,refusing to spawn,poor survival rates of fry should they attempt to spawn,and slow growth rates of both adult fish and or fry.
If your water's ph is not below 6.5 or above 8.0 I believe the Geen Terror would adapt fairly well so long as the water parameters were stable without the use of artificial tweaking of those parameters with Ph adjusting powders or potions.
Green Terrors and plants unless floating type ,would not in my vew be successful. They, like many cichlids ,,enjoy rooting around in substrate making it difficult to maintain plants unless you were to pot them which is another subject.
I would steer clear of live feeder fish unless ou intend to grow your own.Too easy to introduce disease to your tank with store bought feeders. A variety of frozen foods along with quality flake and pellet food will be more healthy for your fish. Frozen Brine shrimp,bloodworms,Krill,and or shrimp chopped for smaller fish,along with flake foods when fish are small,(not so much flake for large fish) will give them a suitable diet. I would also include some vegetable in their diet along with occasional chopped earthworms taking care not to provide worms from areas where pesticides or weed killers have been used.
I would not attempt to keep other fish with the Green Terror's should you ultimately succeed in getting a pair to breed. It would in my view,result in dead or injured fish.
As mentiond earlier, If your hardness (alkalinity), is not off the chart for the recommended species you wish to keep,and pH values are within range as opposed to being at the extreme low or high end,, And these parameters are stable and easy to maintain then the fish will do well in my opinion. Attempting to adjust water to suit the fishes needs rather than selecting fish that would do well in the water most readily available to you,, is often a recipe for failure. Hope some of this helps .

jakezori 09-07-2009 03:12 AM

Thanks for your help =) My ph is 8.2 btw, and normally the gt's prefer much lower, but as you said, it's better not to mess with the water too much. I have however sucessfully gotton rams to breed when the water that I have is practically oposite to what they prefer. I plan on putting a large amount of driftwood in the tank and when doing water changes, top them off with some ro water. Although I know that rams get quite agressive at times (especially when breeding), I think it might be ok if I had a cichlid that was a little bigger than the couple in the tank, but I'm not sure. As for food, don't worry about me buying feeder food from stores =p. The only feeder food I might buy is from a lfs aquarium shop which I am friends with the owner of. I know he takes great care of his fish, and knows more than anyone I've ever met about them. I'm a little bummed I can't get ANY plants as I figured their would be something that the gt's wouldnt care for, but oh wellz.

jakezori 09-08-2009 08:04 PM

So I still don't know what to get...I was thinking about 4 gt's, but I would much rather have 2 gt's and 1 other fish than 4 gt's though. Isn't there anything else I could get that wouldnt eat the gt's eggs and that the gt's wouldnt kill?

Also, would this be a good light for my 90 gallon?

48" T5 HO Aquarium Plant Cichlid Light 108W Freshwater - eBay (item 290346613053 end time Sep-14-09 06:07:20 PDT)

1077 09-09-2009 03:31 AM

Many cichlids can be kept together when small or as juveniles.It is when the male cichlids reach sexual maturity and pairs are formed and spawning activity begins, that trouble follows. In an environment that is crowded by numbers of fish and or not enough space,The cichlids will fight over territory and breeding rights. It is not a question of if,, but a question of when.
The green terror can be exceptonally nasty as it matures with or without a mate, but in breeding mode,, These fish ,as well as many other cichlids should have a tank to themselves. If you wish to breed them, I would select a group of juveniles five or six for 90 gal and when a pair was formed,, I would seek homes for the remaining fish to prevent them from being subjected to injury or death unneccessarily OR remove the pair that has formed and place them in a (cycled) aquarium of their own.

1077 09-09-2009 03:38 AM

Ammendment to previous post. By a group of five or six fish I mean five or six of the species you intend to breed. Simply placing a male and female together does not always ensure a mated pair.

jakezori 09-09-2009 09:23 PM

I think I'm going to add dither fish with 1 male and 1 female so they have a greater chance of mating and being more active. Do you think blue cobalts and yellow labs would be good dithers? I know they are african cichlids and require different water conditions, but my water is in between both fishs requirments. I feel like they would be good dithers as they are faster than gt's and they wont cause a fight with them, but they will get the gt's to nip at them (or try) and form a pair. What do you think?

1077 09-10-2009 04:02 AM

You can try if you like ,but keep in mind what I have said. Nearly all cichlids are quite capable of inflicting damage to each other whether provoked or not.