Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   New to Fish - Questions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/new-fish-questions-28627/)

EmoJellyfish 09-06-2009 07:58 PM

New to Fish - Questions

I am saying 'New to Fish' because I have been keeping a multitude of fish, but am having many casualties. I am now happy with my fish and they seem to be doing better. I have a few questions.

I have the following aquatic creatures:

One 4" Tiger Oscar - King
One 4 1/2" Jack Dempsey - Domer
One 3/4" Goldfish -Nemo
One Ivory Mystery Snail - Bonnie
One Gold Mystery Snail - Clyde
One Black Mystery Snail - Charles
One 1" African Clawed Frog - Austin

I also have a Corn Snake named Mitchell, but I'm confident on his care requirements.

My Oscar and Jack Dempsey were separated yesterday because they were killing one another. My Oscar remains in the 32 gallon with my Ivory and Gold Mystery Snails. His fins were torn in several places yesterday but they are now healed. His water is clear and he is very active. When my mum put the feeders in yesterday, the largest of the three's tail was hanging from his mouth for about a half an hour. Will he be okay? I am getting smaller ones next time. I am also aware of the health risks of feeders and I have chosen to use them. The temperature is 82 degrees farenheit and everyone otherwise seems happy and healthy.

My Jack Dempsey is still angry he has been moved, although he is coming out a bit more now. I returned home from my father's house earlier and the tank water is milky. The temperature is at 82 degrees farenhiet. He still sits at the bottom behind a chunk of Lava Rock, but he came out long enough for an examination and photo shoot. On his fins he seems to have a few white spots the size of pinheads that appear as if they are something that could be wiped off. I describe them that way because they are upraised as if growing on him. These were not there yesterday. He is also pale in color. When he came out I fed him a few pellets. He ignored the feeders my mum put in yesterday and they died an hour after being put in. I removed them half an hour later. The snail was added yesterday as well and isn't active like my other two. Are the white spots ich? Would changing some of the water with the gravel vaccum (50%?) help?

My frog and goldfish (a feeder I rescued yesterday, named for her size) are doing well. I haven't seen her eat yet, but I put a flake in and it was gone when I came back. There is a Hermit Crab sand substrate that is about an inch thick. It gives the tank a gold hue and clouds softly. What can I do to prevent this?

I have an API Liquid Test Kit but I know my parameters are bad right now and my mum won't let me change water as needed to lower them and I have no money to purchase anything to help. If my mum allows me to change water in my Jack Dempsey's tank tomorrow, and brings out a large enough bucket, I'll be able to do a water change the day after when she's at work as well. She may be working Wednesday, too but I'm not sure.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sincerely,
Charlene

Tempy 09-06-2009 10:31 PM

WHY WONT your mum let you do a water change?

Going to be a massive problem if you cannot change the water when required.

FishySuzy 09-06-2009 11:27 PM

This is true. Do you have a water conditioner? Also, your temp is too hot if you're not treating for ich with salt and heat, which you should probably do, from what it sounds like to me. This should help you.

1077 09-07-2009 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmoJellyfish (Post 239486)
I am saying 'New to Fish' because I have been keeping a multitude of fish, but am having many casualties. I am now happy with my fish and they seem to be doing better. I have a few questions.

I have the following aquatic creatures:

One 4" Tiger Oscar - King
One 4 1/2" Jack Dempsey - Domer
One 3/4" Goldfish -Nemo
One Ivory Mystery Snail - Bonnie
One Gold Mystery Snail - Clyde
One Black Mystery Snail - Charles
One 1" African Clawed Frog - Austin

I also have a Corn Snake named Mitchell, but I'm confident on his care requirements.

My Oscar and Jack Dempsey were separated yesterday because they were killing one another. My Oscar remains in the 32 gallon with my Ivory and Gold Mystery Snails. His fins were torn in several places yesterday but they are now healed. His water is clear and he is very active. When my mum put the feeders in yesterday, the largest of the three's tail was hanging from his mouth for about a half an hour. Will he be okay? I am getting smaller ones next time. I am also aware of the health risks of feeders and I have chosen to use them. The temperature is 82 degrees farenheit and everyone otherwise seems happy and healthy.

My Jack Dempsey is still angry he has been moved, although he is coming out a bit more now. I returned home from my father's house earlier and the tank water is milky. The temperature is at 82 degrees farenhiet. He still sits at the bottom behind a chunk of Lava Rock, but he came out long enough for an examination and photo shoot. On his fins he seems to have a few white spots the size of pinheads that appear as if they are something that could be wiped off. I describe them that way because they are upraised as if growing on him. These were not there yesterday. He is also pale in color. When he came out I fed him a few pellets. He ignored the feeders my mum put in yesterday and they died an hour after being put in. I removed them half an hour later. The snail was added yesterday as well and isn't active like my other two. Are the white spots ich? Would changing some of the water with the gravel vaccum (50%?) help?

My frog and goldfish (a feeder I rescued yesterday, named for her size) are doing well. I haven't seen her eat yet, but I put a flake in and it was gone when I came back. There is a Hermit Crab sand substrate that is about an inch thick. It gives the tank a gold hue and clouds softly. What can I do to prevent this?

I have an API Liquid Test Kit but I know my parameters are bad right now and my mum won't let me change water as needed to lower them and I have no money to purchase anything to help. If my mum allows me to change water in my Jack Dempsey's tank tomorrow, and brings out a large enough bucket, I'll be able to do a water change the day after when she's at work as well. She may be working Wednesday, too but I'm not sure.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sincerely,
Charlene

You indicate that you have been keeping.. ('A multitude of fish with many casualties) I recommend both you,and your Mum,, Visit the local public library and read up on the proper care of tropical fish. Or perhaps the two of you can sit down at the computer and google information on same.
Until then,, I suspect more of the same problems you are expieriencing to continue.

EmoJellyfish 09-07-2009 01:18 PM

I know a bit more about fish that some are giving me credit for. My mum just gets impatient when it comes to my fish. She doesn't think that I am going to take care of them (feed them) and has a horrid temper. I am not allowed to do the 50% water change. "He's just getting used to his new home and you're just going to put him in shock again. Just becasuse you talk to the people on your little forum doesn't mean you know anything."

Tempy 09-08-2009 04:22 AM

oh that's no fair.

just change a couple of cups of water every three of four days or whatnot.

make sure you use water conditioner.

i dont know that much about fish but I do like to notice how they behave and the cleaner the water the happier the fish.

i remember what my tank was like when it was new - and so clean
it is basically the same now so i know it is clean.

Active fish are happy fish

make sure that each group of fish you have feel comftable in the tank.

Thsi may mean they have their own territory where they feel safe.

I thought i would never be able to mix my fighter with other fish because he is SO AGGRESSIVE.

But we introduced some non threatening species and he has realized that other fish can be tolerated. and also, that they clean his tank for him.

He sometimes flares up at one of my fish - which is exactly the same color as him. He doesnt nip and doesnt seem too fussed so i thinlk they will get used to each other.

I also have a vase in the tank.

The fish dont go in rtheir often but it is good to have in thier as it makes the tank seem more interesting and if the fish get bored i suppose they could explore.

People say that fish dont have feelings.

I say that even if they dont have "emotions" - fish can still and do feel bad

but fish can and do feel good.

I would rather they second option.

That was my little speal lol

EmoJellyfish 09-08-2009 04:36 AM

I read you board, Tempy. I'm going to change 3 gallons when I get off from school. It was clearing up yesterday, but the white specs are making me nervous.

Fishin Pole 09-08-2009 08:38 AM

if your "Mum" is not gonna allow you to do water changes every week for your fish, and you claim to have some fish knowledge, you and i know the best thing you can do for your fish is rehome them...........Not doing frequent water changes is just making your fish suffer............Do the right thing and either convince your Mum about water changes or rehome your fish, for your fishes sake...........Also, insulting members on this forum (1077, who gave you great advice, whether you believe it or not) is not gonna make any friends here..........This is one of the more knowledgable and friendly forums around..........

EmoJellyfish 09-08-2009 03:04 PM

I tried to convince her to let me take them back when they were trying to kill one another but she threw a fit and kicked me out of my room for three and a half hours as she completely tore apart my tanks, moving around decor and fish. Upset me greatly. The water looks very clear today. Domer ate very willingly today and all the spots are gone but one on his lip. I looked at him closer, and it seems he's bashed his head on maybe the Lava Rock and given himself a scrape. Hopefully it'll heal up. I'll keep an eye on it and I also lowered the temperature to 78 degrees farenhiet. I think my Black Mystery Snail may have passed on. If he hasn't moved by tonight, I'll remove him from the tank and return him. My mum purchased him when I wasn't with her and I think his shell was corroded(sp?) and he didn't move much, unlike my Gold and Ivory.

Twistersmom 09-08-2009 03:41 PM

Do the sniff test on the snail. It does not take long after they die to start smelling really horrible.
If the snail is still alive, the shell corrosion could be do to a low ph, kh. If you can add calcium to the tank or to the snails diet it will help. The lower temp is also better for the snail.