Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   circulation pump (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/circulation-pump-286234/)

svtcobra22 10-16-2013 08:36 AM

circulation pump

hey guys, so im debating on if i should get a circulation pump for my 55 gallon cichlid tank. i decided to post a thread on here to see what you guys think before i spend money on it. for filtration i have a fluval 406 canister filter and a marineland penguin bio wheel 200 power filter. i was thinking it would be a good idea to get the pump just so the fish waste can get off the bottom and sucked into the filters. let me know what you guys think and what size pump i should get if i need one.

badxgillen 10-16-2013 08:42 PM

I like having a decent amount of flow in my tanks for the same reason you just stated,waste management. You might just want to aim it wards the back of the tank so the rocks don't get full of mulm. Or you can simply aim it at one end towards the bottom. As far as circulation pumps there are alot out there but the ones with the propeller and shroud are the most bang for the buck. My personal favorite is the maxi jet that converts from power head to circulation pump. Even the smalles one can puch up to 500 gallons an hour, I use a 1200 wich pushes well over 1,300 gallons an hour and I love it.Once again there are other brands that can do the trick but the maxi jets are well priced and easy to find. Koralias are good too.

Tazman 10-16-2013 09:10 PM

I would agree, having a circulation pump will not affect the cichlids at all. I have 2 maxijet 1200's in my 75g tank running on circulation mode.

The fish love the current and also the output from the FX5, cichlids are indeed messy critters and while the extra circulation will help, make sure the filter(s) are rated correctly for your tank also.

Cichlids always appear hungry and one of biggest mistakes people do is overfeed them. DONT, resist the temptation as it can seriously harm them. Stick with 2 feedings a day, or even skip a day, they wont mind.

Price wise Maxijet are value for money, if you want something with a lower profile as the maxijets are quite bulky, then Koralia.

Keep us posted and we look forward to seeing your tank progress.

svtcobra22 10-16-2013 11:05 PM

well guys i just ordered the hydor koralia nano 425 pump from amazon and it was 26 bucks, my local petco had it for 43 bucks. as far as feedings i keep it to two feedings a day. the first feeding is usually around 815 am and the 2nd feeding is around 630pm. i did notice that when i fed them i was feeding them a lil too much so i cut back on the amount that i give them. they really love to beg for food thats for sure. at first when my girlfriend came over they would always hide and now when shes over they will come up to the glass begging her to feed them and shes tempted to feed them haha.

badxgillen 10-16-2013 11:38 PM

Good deal right there man.

svtcobra22 10-16-2013 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badxgillen (Post 3226058)
Good deal right there man.

exactly, gotta love amazon