Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   EMERGENCY - Need help ASAP w/ goldfish!!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/emergency-need-help-asap-w-goldfish-286138/)

Dubwub 10-15-2013 11:30 PM

EMERGENCY - Need help ASAP w/ goldfish!!!

I know this is the wrong section, I posted here because this section has the most active members and I need help really fast.

I looked at my black moor in his 29 gallon tank, and noticed he is laying on his side at the top. He is still breathing, but just floating, and he must not be moving much because there are air bubbles collected all around him and on him. I put the filter on the lowest flow to disturb him the least.

He has a little bit of what looks like fungus - just a little, on both of his sides. It's white, and looks a lot like this picture - this is not my fish: http://z.about.com/w/experts/Fish-14...ected-fish.jpg

Anyways, It's 12:30AM and I have to go to bed and get up for school. If he can survive another 15 hours until I'm home from school, I will change 100% of his water. I usually just change 100% per month since he is only a 3.5" black moor in a 29 gallon tank since that's pretty understocked. But I haven't changed his water in about 5 weeks now so it's a little overdue.

Anyways, I'll check back tomorrow after school... thanks everyone..

Sakura8 10-15-2013 11:45 PM

Hi Dubwub and welcome to the forum. I went ahead and moved your thread to the disease section since I'm answering it.

Do you have an ammonia kit? My guess is your guy has ammonia OR nitrate poisoning. Now, with any other species, one 3" fish in a 29gal would indeed be understocking and monthly water changes would be fine. But goldfish are special little critters. They are ammonia FACTORIES. Even a small goldfish like yours can put out an incredible amount of ammonia. I recommend doing at least 40% changes once a week. I know, it seems like a lot but seriously these fish produce so much waste and ammonia that it's insane.

When you get the chance, I suggest switching your water conditioner to Seachem Prime because of its ability to help neutralize ammonia. It's a little more expensive but it's also highly concentrated and goes a long way. You may also want to pick up some aquarium salt because I'd like you to add the recommended dosage to your tank. I believe it's 1 tablespoon per 10gals. The salt will help with the ammonia poisoning.

As for the fungus . . . it's most likely either an ammonia burn, excess slime coat, or the beginnings of columnaris. To treat this, probably the best thing is a methylene blue bath. Many small tropical fish stores (not the big box chain stores like Petsmart) carry Kordon Methylene Blue. This is a very, very effective medication at treating ammonia/nitrate poisoning. Otherwise, you may want to order it online if you can.

If we can get your guy out of the danger zone, then doing weekly water changes will really help to keep him healthy.

Hope this helps and keep us updated.

Dubwub 10-16-2013 03:48 PM

Update - home from school, changing about 95% of the water right now, almost done draining the tank. Fungus has spread overnight to around his eyes, mouth and fins. Fins are mildly torn and back fin is bloody. Going to the pet store after water change for medication. I think he's going to live.

Sakura8 10-16-2013 05:29 PM

Sorry to hear he's in such bad shape. If you can't find methylene blue, I suggest API Furan-2.

Dubwub 10-16-2013 07:58 PM

Changed 100% of his water and gave him Pimafix (anti-fungal medication) about 4 hours ago. He is actually moving somewhat now instead of just floating there.

Sakura8 10-16-2013 08:48 PM

Good to hear. I'll be rooting for him!

Dubwub 10-17-2013 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sakura8 (Post 3224898)
Good to hear. I'll be rooting for him!

Looking much better today. Gave him his second dose of medicine. About 50% of the fungus is cleared up and he is much more active. Fins still slightly torn/ragged on ends, but he is much better overall.

Sakura8 10-18-2013 12:23 PM

Very happy to hear this! I would still recommend doing weekly water changes so he doesn't get sick again. :)