Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Looking for FAQ on T5 reflectors (or reviews) (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/looking-faq-t5-reflectors-reviews-28581/)

saulat 09-05-2009 10:01 PM

Looking for FAQ on T5 reflectors (or reviews)

I am wondering if different reflectors could help maximize my light from my 28 watt T5 bulbs. I have two double bulb coralife fixtures. Can anyone point me to a faq or some reviews on reflectors? I have not yet found anything. It does sound like ice caps are a solid brand. Is retrofitting where you fit a new reflector into the fixture. I am not really sure how this all works. Thanks.

Byron 09-06-2009 11:26 AM

Here's a link to the DrsFoster&Smith site, they have good information on products and (I think reviews).
Fish Supplies: Fish Tank & Fish Care | DrsFosterSmith.com
In the left column click Lighting and go from there.

T5 HO light is quite bright and I would have thought the Coralife fixture was adequate for plants (and fish which prefer less light to more light).

Byron.

WisFish 09-08-2009 12:02 PM

Do you have the T-5 HO (High-Output) version or the standard non-HO fixtures?

Byron 09-08-2009 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WisFish (Post 240196)
Do you have the T-5 HO (High-Output) version or the standard non-HO fixtures?

I have regular fixtures; they take T8 or T10 tubes, if I have the numbers correct, these are the same wattage, etc., but one of them is thinner and more common now as I believe they are slightly more intense light. I had to replace two of my three fixtures last month (got too old and gave out), and bought a twin-tube T5 HO fixture. It was way too much light over the 70g and 90g, so I tried it over my 115g, and even that was too bright. I have frequently joked that I expected my fish to be asking me for sunglasses.:lol:

After a week, (gave it a good tryout) I took it back and got the regular fixture and put my favourite tubes (48-inch) back in. Perfectly fine light, 80 watts over each of the 70g, 90g and 115g aquaria, plants all thriving after years of this [check out my new photos under my Aquariums]. Fish from tropical waters usually need very little light, and as long as the plants are growing, I consider the light sufficient. Many of these fish will pale under brighter light, some develop health issues (cardinals have a light phobia, as Baensch/Rhiel call it), so the least light as long as the plants are thriving, the better.

Byron.

saulat 09-08-2009 11:13 PM

I think you are right about the lighting. Someone mentioned individual reflectors to me and I wanted to read up on it. Way too much hassle and I think I probably don't need it. The place I bought them has decent looking plants and only one strip of the coralife on their tanks, although they have less depth and get the plants healthy I am sure. Mine are fixtures containing two standard 28 watt T5 bulbs each.

Those twin tube HO T5 are super bright, same wattage as 4 of my bulbs but still more intense. What brand did you buy? I tried Novalife I think was the name and had to return it as defective.

WisFish 09-09-2009 09:15 AM

I agree. As you and Byron state, the T5 HO lights are just too bright. I tried the Nova T5 HO. It was too bight, too noisy and it got hot. So I switched to the triple tube t-8 fixture. The bulbs are cheap. I use sylvania daylight bulbs which are around $3.50 each. If you go with that fixture you'll probably have to replace the glass hood as well because the fixture is a little wider than standard.

Fluorescent Aquarium Lighting: Triple Tube Strip Lights

Aquarium Hoods & Canopies: All-Glass Twin-Tube Versa-Tops

Byron 09-09-2009 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WisFish (Post 240653)
I agree. As you and Byron state, the T5 HO lights are just too bright. I tried the Nova T5 HO. It was too bight, too noisy and it got hot. So I switched to the triple tube t-8 fixture. The bulbs are cheap. I use sylvania daylight bulbs which are around $3.50 each. If you go with that fixture you'll probably have to replace the glass hood as well because the fixture is a little wider than standard.

Fluorescent Aquarium Lighting: Triple Tube Strip Lights

Aquarium Hoods & Canopies: All-Glass Twin-Tube Versa-Tops

Interesting, for years I had Sylvannia Full Spectrum and Daylight Deluxe (or name something similar) over my tanks. The combination provided light almost identical to what I have now, and the K was around 6500 with a slight emphasis on the blue (cool). I only changed because I used to buy them at Home Depot, and they stopped carrying Sylvannia. That was when I experimented with other tubes as I've mentioned elsewhere.

Byron.