Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   New Tank, mess with Ph adjustment? (noob) (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/new-tank-mess-ph-adjustment-noob-285786/)

adamgoldberg 10-15-2013 12:26 PM

New Tank, mess with Ph adjustment? (noob)

I have a newly setup 45g tank, with fish in it for three days now, with only plastic plants. Just received my test kit, and got Ph=7.8, Ammonia=0.5ppm, Nitrite=0ppm, Nitrate=10ppm. We started with tap water, used Prime, waited 24h, used API QuickStart and added fish (2 guppies, 3 neon tetras).

I think that makes the Ph a bit high, but wonder if it makes more sense to just monitor until the fish have been in the tank for more than a few days. (I suppose I could measure the Ph of tap water to see what our water supply is...)

Advice for a newbie? Thx.

avraptorhal 10-15-2013 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adamgoldberg (Post 3213690)
I
I think that makes the Ph a bit high, but wonder if it makes more sense to just monitor until the fish have been in the tank for more than a few days. (I suppose I could measure the Ph of tap water to see what our water supply is...)

Advice for a newbie? Thx.

• Absolutely measure the tap water. The pH will not go any lower than your tap without a lot of chemical addition that are stressful to your fish. Playing with dynamite is less dangerous than playing with the pH in an aquarium, You are asking for a pH crash which will probably destroy your tank.

adamgoldberg 10-15-2013 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by avraptorhal (Post 3214466)
Absolutely measure the tap water.

The ph of the tap water is around the same - 7.6 or 7.7.

So... don't mess with it? Even though it's not in the 'ideal' range for a community tank?

Tolak 10-15-2013 04:02 PM

A stable pH that's slightly out of range is better than one that fluctuates. There's a lot more that has to be taken into account, hardness, TDS, the only reliable way to change the pH is to start with RO, gives you a blank slate. Changing the pH of tap water is difficult at best, deadly at worst.

adamgoldberg 10-15-2013 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tolak (Post 3214794)
the only reliable way to change the pH is to start with RO, gives you a blank slate.

um... What's "RO"?

Tolak 10-15-2013 04:10 PM

Reverse osmosis, removes all the minerals from the water. Hardness stabilizes pH, hardness is the mineral content. You adjust the pH, then remineralize to stabilize the pH.

beaslbob 10-15-2013 04:38 PM

pH rises as carbon dioxide goes down.

So your "high" pH probably means low carbon dioxide. Which the fish should appreciate.

getting a particualr pH value with chemicals can change all that..

my .02