Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   My Java Moss is Dying! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/my-java-moss-dying-28477/)

MXS 09-03-2009 04:58 PM

My Java Moss is Dying!

Can anyone help me figure out why my java moss is dying? About 2 weeks ago I bought a big 'ol clump of java moss. It was lush green at the time. I put some in my 29 gallon and most in my 10 gallon.

The moss in my 29 gallon is the same as it was when I bought it, the java moss in the 10 gallon is light brown and seems to be getting worse every day. I had it in there the last 5 days my tank was cycling. I just kind of stuck the "bottom" of it in the gravel (which is pretty deep by the way)

I don't know why it's happening, it looks terrible!

volkspider 09-04-2009 01:09 AM

Do you have much current in the 10 gallon? From wikipedia:
Quote:

you should plant it somewhere where there is good water current because debris gets stuck on it easily and gives it a brown fuzzy appearance.

Rohland 09-04-2009 02:40 AM

Maybe not enough nutrients or light?
Liquid fertilizer Byron recommends in Seachem Flourish.
If you need help I highly suggest you ask him, he may even reply to your post later.

Byron 09-04-2009 10:44 AM

The fact that it is fine in one tank and not in another suggests there is someting different between the two tanks, so the question is, what is it? You haven't provided any info on light, water parameters, fish in the 10g, and whether or not you fertilize and if so with what, so I can't say much more at present.

But one thing does stand out: JM attaches itself to objects like wood or rocks. While I have had it "survive" floating, I have not experiemented with how long this will work, and certainly all my JM that is thriving is attached to wood. I have minimal current in my aquaria, and relatively low light. Beyond suggesting that you attach some to a piece of wood or a rock and see if it improves in the 10g, we'll have to wait until you post the afore-mentioned information.

Byron.

MXS 09-04-2009 09:46 PM

I have no real idea what kind of light it is. It's pretty old and not too bright.
The ammonia is 0, nitrite is 0, and nitrate is 20.
I have 2 Dwarf Puffers in the tank.
I do not fertilize.

I will try attaching a few stones to the java moss!

MonsiuerPercy1 09-04-2009 09:53 PM

hmm Never had any trouble with my java moss and some of it is in the same setup as you.

teddyzaper 09-06-2009 06:41 PM

a new light would help a lot and some fertilizer.

fighttest 09-06-2009 06:52 PM

thats pretty high nitrate too cant tell you if that would do much to your plants but deff to your fish

SinCrisis 09-06-2009 09:07 PM

could be shock, the java moss i dumped into my 5 gallon turned brown in the first week and kinda melted and mostly vanished in the second until there was only a couple of strands at the bottom left attached to a rock, but after that it rebounded and now i have a good amount of it again.