Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Member Submitted Articles (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/member-submitted-articles/)
-   -   Sand Washing/Rinsing Tutorial (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/member-submitted-articles/sand-washing-rinsing-tutorial-28436/)

MoneyMitch 09-02-2009 07:45 PM

Sand Washing/Rinsing Tutorial

7 Attachment(s)
How to clean sand for your aquarium

Items needed:

1. Bucket Preferably 5 gallon (i used a drink cooler with gallon marks)
2. Inert sand (I used play sand for this tut)
3. Garden hose ( you dont need the handle thing just a plain old hose will work)
4. Good amount of spare time

Here is the sand that i used, the bag said that it was pre washed and strained. Now it might have been but just because it says its pre-washed and everything doesn't mean its ready for your aquarium.

Attachment 3641

Step 1.

Pour in about 1 and a half to 2 gallons worth of sand. and then fill the bucket pretty much to the top with water. While you are filling it with water you don't necessarily need to worry about moving the sand around in the bucket just yet.

Attachment 3642

Attachment 3643

Step 2.

Now this is where the magic happens. :-P Now that your bucket has sand and is filled with water using your hand start making a circular motion relatively close to the sand making sure that there aren't any piles of it on the bottom. The goal here is to have all of the sand suspended in the water, After you have stirred up all of the sand give it about 30 seconds or so to where the "good sand" can sink as it sinks really fast and then the smaller floating sand bits that cloud your water will be suspended in the water. Now the first Rinse water will look like water out of a mud puddle very brown and merky. (Arent you glad this isnt in your aquarium?!?!8)

Attachment 3644

Step 3.

Now about 30 seconds to a miniute after stirring your water you want to SLOWLY pour out the water. now your not going to get all of the water out obviously but the goal here is to get the three gallons or so of water out which has the floating sand bits in it. this step you want to repeat ATLEAST 15 times or untill you are happy with how fast the sand settles. Remember when its in ur aquarium the clouding effect will seem much worse if not rinsed properly.

Attachment 3645

Step 4.

Once you have reached the settle time that you have desired (Under 1 miniute is pretty clean sand)
bring your sand inside to your aquarium that should be empty and start to pile in the sand. once you have the depth of sand you desire then start to smooth it out with your hand or even a ruler. once all the sand has been smoothed out and placed inside the aquarium get a nice big flat "something" so the water that your are putting in your aquarium wont disturb the sand you just smoothed out.

Attachment 3646

Step 5.

Now that you have your clean sand all smoothed out and your aquarium filled with water (hopefully not to the top if you plan on adding rocks and things" you can add your rocks plants and decor. now personally i have a bed of about 2inches as i plan on planting this tank. if you dont plan to have alot of live plants you dont need anything over a inch of sand in the bottom. here is my finished product (rocks arent set up yet just threw them in there to get the volume/water line where it needs to be.

Attachment 3647

Now i got the idea to do a tut with pictures from Tyyrlym and his post which can be found here http://www.fishforum.com/freshwater-...strates-20668/ I hope this helps anyone who is wondering about sand and how to clean it for your aquarium.I bought this sand from a lowes and got three 50lb bags for under 10.00 total. i ended up using only a bag and a half to achieve the 2inch depth of sand. Hope you guys enjoy,Money

Malcolm Little 09-02-2009 07:53 PM

Thank you. A very useful post.

Might somewhat tack this permanently to the top?

aunt kymmie 09-02-2009 08:05 PM

You forgot the part about doing your sand washing out of the eyesight of certain neighbors.
Here in drought stricken California certain neighbors would report certain people for wasting water. :lol:

Nice tutorial and your end result looks great. Looking forward to seeing your tank full of fish. :-)

MoneyMitch 09-02-2009 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunt kymmie (Post 237478)
You forgot the part about doing your sand washing out of the eyesight of certain neighbors.
Here in drought stricken California certain neighbors would report certain people for wasting water. :lol:

Nice tutorial and your end result looks great. Looking forward to seeing your tank full of fish. :-)

hahaha good thing im not in cali :O should have fish here in about a week or so need to get my water params in check and get some heaters.Money

MoneyMitch 09-03-2009 10:30 PM

Tut for how to Vac/maintain sand coming soon >>>>>

animalover 09-04-2009 12:05 AM

thank you! (i hope i dont have to live in cal.)

Herky 09-05-2009 01:26 AM

What size of tank was that?
How much sand did you buy?
How much did you use?

MoneyMitch 09-05-2009 04:01 PM

size/ 55 gal
bought 150lbs
used only half that after the wash to get about 2 inches on the bottom

Worldshaker 09-05-2009 04:08 PM

Tried this yesterday. used a 4g bucket with about 1g of sand. After about 40+ washes it was still cloudy for me. Gonna try some more washing today.

MoneyMitch 09-05-2009 04:11 PM

i mean sand is ALWAYS going to float around after you stri it up. your aiming for it all to settle after like 2 mins. gunna take you forever to get NOTHING to float but the more washing the better your results. Keep on it man took me all freking day to do like 75-80 lbs of this stuff and i do mean all day!!