Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   Hi everyone.. new here and hoping to get into salt water (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/hi-everyone-new-here-hoping-get-28434/)

docdoo475 09-02-2009 06:36 PM

Hi everyone.. new here and hoping to get into salt water

Hey everyone.. I have pretty good experience with fresh water aquariums. But always wanted a salt water tank.

I did start one a couple years ago which did not last very long. I went against advice from friends.. they told me the bigger the tank the easier to maintain. I was on a budget and was bored so I bought a 6 gallon eclipse tank and a couple fish.

Let me tell you those poor fish did not stand a chance. The biggest mistake I made was that I kept adding salt in the water I added not even thinking that salt doesn't evaporate with the water!

But anyhow.. I'm ready to learn things the right way and hopefully the community here can help me decide what size tank, what kinda set up, etc etc would be best for me

Thanks!

Twistersmom 09-02-2009 06:41 PM

I will leave the saltwater advice to the expert, just wanted to hello and welcome to the forum!

MonsiuerPercy1 09-04-2009 07:05 PM

Yeah I have kept freshwater fish for years and am hoping to get started on saltwater. Anything that you can give us as too advice would be helpful. Meanwhile I am doing lots of research.

Bmac 09-04-2009 07:27 PM

The biggest thing you need to have with saltwater(besides a wallet) is patience. Don't try to rush it, it's not gonna hurt anything to tak your time.

aunt kymmie 09-04-2009 07:37 PM

Welcome to the forum. :-D

dramaqueen 09-04-2009 08:24 PM

Hello and welcome to FishForum.

MXS 09-05-2009 09:57 AM

Welcome!

docdoo475 09-08-2009 03:20 PM

Thanks everyone! Yeah I'll be doing my research before firing away with the questions!
well maybe I'll ask one.. I'm looking at the biocube 29 with optional protein skimmer is this a good place to begin?

Twistersmom 09-08-2009 03:57 PM

I wish I knew the answer to your question. I have not yet ventured over to saltwater keeping.

It might help to post your question in the saltwater aquarium section, where it will get more views from the knowledgeable saltwater people.

aunt kymmie 09-08-2009 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by docdoo475 (Post 240321)
Thanks everyone! Yeah I'll be doing my research before firing away with the questions!
well maybe I'll ask one.. I'm looking at the biocube 29 with optional protein skimmer is this a good place to begin?

The skimmer is not an option, it's a requirement, IMHO.
I'm still in the research phase myself and I think the best place to start is by reading the many saltwater build threads here on the forum. When it comes to salt I don't think there's such a thing as too much research. Have you decided yet if you want to go with a reef or a FOWLR system?