Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Shimmying Molly (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/shimmying-molly-284257/)

Emlou81 10-12-2013 06:02 AM

Shimmying Molly

Hi all

one of my mollies is doing the shimmy thing, I water change 1 per week and it's always after this, she does calm down after a few days but wonder if there is anything I can do at water change time to prevent this, the poor love.

My other 2 mollies are fine, the PH is on the high side can't seem to reduce this and it reads 8. all other water tests are fine and as they should be.

I have read to add little salt which will help, however I have 3 corys and it is my understanding that they wont tolerate the addition of any salt?

all suggestions will be welcomed! :) Thanks all

Emlou81 10-12-2013 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emlou81 (Post 3192609)
Hi all

one of my mollies is doing the shimmy thing, I water change 1 per week and it's always after this, she does calm down after a few days but wonder if there is anything I can do at water change time to prevent this, the poor love.

My other 2 mollies are fine, the PH is on the high side can't seem to reduce this and it reads 8. all other water tests are fine and as they should be.

I have read to add little salt which will help, however I have 3 corys and it is my understanding that they wont tolerate the addition of any salt?

all suggestions will be welcomed! :) Thanks all

Sorry just realised I've gate crashed your post!

ao 10-12-2013 09:40 AM

I've moved your post to your own thread :) there is a new thread button above the list of threads and under the logo on the left top side of the each forum section, you can use that to start a new thread of your own. Happy fish keeping!

Sylverclaws 10-22-2013 02:15 AM

Cories do not like salt at all. Some can handle it for short periods in small doses, but they do not do well with it.

Shimmying...as in sorta waddling side to side when swimming, or smacking into things? If it's bobbing side to side, there's a big possibility of a swimbladder issue. Feed her a quarter of a cooked, skinned pea once per day for about a week, should clear her up.

If she's flashing(slamming into things), it's most likely a fungal or parasitic infection starting(like ich) or from PH changes...if you're trying to CHANGE the PH with them in there, that's why she's having trouble. lol That can irritate them pretty good, and big changes, or constant tampering, can hurt them. That PH is high for cories, but fine for mollies. Hardness needs to be up there too(they like General Hardness around 15+ or so, they like nice hard water).