Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   Snails (More fun than I thought) (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/snails-more-fun-than-i-thought-28415/)

Calmwaters 09-02-2009 01:23 PM

Snails (More fun than I thought)

Hi this new love of mine has come as a surprise to me. LOL It started a couple of weeks ago when I found a real small black looking snail in my 10 gal tank at home I guess he must have rode in on some live plants I bought. Anyway so far he/she is the only one and I have no idea what kind it is but he is neat to watch crawling around on the glass and ornaments. Hes very small about the size of an advil. Then yesterday I went to Petsmart and they had these real pretty ones that are called Blue Mysterey Snails so I bought one for me to enjoy in my tank at work. He/she is about an inch big and has a dark blue (almost black) body and medium brown shell. Does anyone know how to tell if its a he or she that way I can give it the right name for now he/she is Speedy which could be either sex. LOL I will try to post pictures tomorrow if my sister in law brings my camera back today.
EDIT: One more question I will moveing Speedy into a 10 gal tank at work should I just reach in and get him with my hand or should I use the net?

Thanks,
Amanda

Phastanscottsage 09-02-2009 05:23 PM

I have always just reached in and picked my snails up and moved them.

Lupin 09-02-2009 06:04 PM

If the snail is only an inch big, it is not sexually matured yet. Give it time until it reaches 1.5-2 inches. By this time, you should be able to determine its sex. Turn on this page to see how determining sexes is done.
How to Sex Your Apple Snails

Do you know your pH and hardness levels? If your water is soft and acidic, it must be adjusted using calcium carbonate to prevent your snail's shell from suffering erosion that could severely damage the snail. As much as possible, supplement it with calcium enriched foods. You could make gel foods incorporated with calcium tablets. I use Tums or Caltrate. You could simply drop a tablet in there directly and the snail will either ingest it or crawl on it. Either method will still allow the snail to absorb calcium to keep its shell nice and thick. Make sure your pH does not fall below 7.4. The higher the pH, the better. My pH is 8.0 in all snail tanks.

Calmwaters 09-03-2009 01:52 PM

I am going after work today to see if they have any test kits I went to get one the other day and they were out. Should have some today or tomorrow is what they said. Is it ok to put the Tums in a tank if you have fish in there? Thanks for all your help.

Kindest Regards,
Amanda

Lupin 09-03-2009 07:11 PM

Yes, you can certainly add Tums or Caltrate in a tank with fish. I keep guppies in two of my snail tanks where I sometimes add calcium tabs. I'd prefer Caltrate. Tums sometimes clouds the water although no harm is done. The sucrose in it is responsible for clouding the water.

Goody 09-04-2009 09:29 AM

kool i used to have a snail in my old tank

Calmwaters 09-04-2009 09:33 AM

Thanks Lupin I will go by wally world today and pick up some caltrate.

Kindest Regards,
Amanda

bary trotter 10-07-2009 08:57 PM

walmart stinks the employes are so rude.one the other hand how big do they get because ive heard blues are appelas

Teammuir1 10-07-2009 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bary trotter (Post 254399)
walmart stinks the employes are so rude.one the other hand how big do they get because ive heard blues are appelas

MY feels are the same.... I swear we here in Louisville Kentucky have a store called
Myjers they have the BEST looking live plants available I have stocked all my tanks with
their plants.... but the service stinks.. same for all the walmarts we go to .
I honestly end up just getting my plants and fish myself.. LOL
even had an employee tell me I should fill out an application I was good at that...
LOL..
oh well... just thought I would say its not just in your area ... its all over..
Ron

Lupin 10-09-2009 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bary trotter (Post 254399)
how big do they get because ive heard blues are appelas

2 inches. Blues are Pomacea diffusa.