Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Spray bar position with floating plants (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/spray-bar-position-floating-plants-284129/)

lilbabyvenus 10-11-2013 09:49 PM

Spray bar position with floating plants

I want to float more plants but the one I have right now just spins and flips around all the time because my spray bar sprays directly across the top of the tank. I love having that circulation, but I'm curious what everyone else does with their canister's input/output with floating plants.

jaysee 10-11-2013 10:16 PM

I don't have floating plants.

Boredomb 10-12-2013 09:57 AM

Have the holes pointed at the tank wall just at a slight angle where its kinda pointing downwards. That way the current hits the wall and goes downwards and you will still get circulation.

willow 10-12-2013 12:37 PM

i have duckweed,and the spray bar faces into the tank,but facing
downwards.

rexpepper651 10-12-2013 02:39 PM

i was wondering the same thing. i have very large dwarf water lettuce in my tanks but i like to have surface agitation to keep down on the protein fil.

Boredomb 10-12-2013 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rexpepper651 (Post 3194905)
i was wondering the same thing. i have very large dwarf water lettuce in my tanks but i like to have surface agitation to keep down on the protein fil.

I have protein film in my 29 and have to keep the current moving across it or it gets BAD!! So with that said I just gave up on the idea of floating plants in that tank. :| instead just keep the lower waters heavily planted for the fish.

willow 10-12-2013 03:13 PM

i'm wondering if to have half the spray bar facing down,and half
causing a ripple,stopping the duck weed blocking all the light..
it's a very long spray bar,by the way with joiners,

rexpepper651 10-12-2013 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boredomb (Post 3194969)
I have protein film in my 29 and have to keep the current moving across it or it gets BAD!! So with that said I just gave up on the idea of floating plants in that tank. :| instead just keep the lower waters heavily planted for the fish.

this is what im debating on doing. i really like the dangling roots but man it does get bad. ive been contemplating on getting a skimmer style inlet. im a bit concerned on noise if there is any from it an also plants clogging it... i think what you have suggested on having no top water plants an having a more heavily planted lower level might be the way to go

Boredomb 10-12-2013 05:00 PM

I have fought with mine for months trying to figure out what was causing my protein film and never could figure it. I even complete torn down the tank once and it still came back. I love floating plants as well but when they kept dieing cause of the scum I was done. I have no clue and couldn't any real suggestion on the matter as to what was causing it other than the driftwood might be the problem. Soo I just took the floating plants out and moved my spray bar. I now have a lil bit on top but not much at all.