Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Powerhead / Under Gravel Filter / Reverse Mode... ?'s

11K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  herefishy 
#1 ·
We've recently purchased an Aqua Clear 50 powerhead to run an undergravel filter in reverse flow mode.

http://www.hagen.com/usa/aquatic/product.cfm?CAT=1&SUBCAT=119&PROD_ID=01005650020101

My question is: What about the debris the powerhead pumps to the bottom side of the UG Filter?

There's not an easy way to pre-filter this particular powerhead when running in reverse flow mode. It sucks water in a slit near the forward/reverse flow selector.

Thoughts in general about reverse flowing UG filters and required maintenance would be appreciated.

BTW, I am also using an Emperor 280 power filter in this 40 gallon tank.

My thoughts were to use the power filter in conjunction with the UG filter with the powerhead powering the UG filter in reverse flow mode. I would do 'normal' cleaning of the gravel with a syphon gravel cleaner.

#2 ·
I run reverse flow power heads in the majority of my tanks. It should have come with a debris sock(sponge pre-filter). My Marinelands did. In my setups all debris is trapped in the sponge pre-filter, much like the billi-filters of old.
I have been running this type of setup for over 25 years. I would advise that you run powerfilters in addition to reverse flow. The more filtration the better. I run multiple means of filtration whenever possible. My large tanks have rf power heads, power filters, and canister filters.

#3 ·
herefishy said:
I run reverse flow power heads in the majority of my tanks. It should have come with a debris sock. My Marinelands did. In my setups all debris is trapped in the sponge pre-filter, much like the billi-filters of old.
Nope.... never came with a Debris sock or pre-filter.

Anybody using this powerhead? What are you using?

#4 ·
I run Marineland 550, 660, and 1170's. The whole kit comes with a 660 head, sponge prefilter(sock), and all the adaptors to run the pump as either a power sponge filter or a reverse flow power head with a traditional under gravel filter, which is the way I run mine. The UG filter is an old freind with "new" technology. The power head with the kit runs $25-$30, while the adaptor kit only runs around $15.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.