Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Setting up 10 gal at office? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/setting-up-10-gal-office-28407/)

Calmwaters 09-02-2009 10:35 AM

Setting up 10 gal at office?

Hi all,

I currently have a 10 and a 20 gallon established tank at home at work I have a 2.5 gal that has a Betta and Blue Mystery Snail in it. I just purchased a 10 gallon tank for my office to put the Betta and snail in my question is what would be the best way to get the good bacteria in the new tank? The 2.5 gallon does not have a filter, I also have bacteria supplement at the office that I could use. So what do you guys think? I really like my Betta his name is Rainbow and my snail his name is Speedy so of course I do not want anything to happen to them. Would there be enough bacteria in the gravel and water of the 2.5 gallon tank or should I add the supplement. What do you guys think?

Kindest Regards,
Amanda

kelly528 09-02-2009 11:08 AM

You'll be totally fine with the gravel from your 2.5... I'd put the water in there too! In fact, I have successfully cycled tanks by sprinkling in about a handful of gravel from a healthy tank.

1077 09-02-2009 11:11 AM

Were it me(and it ain't), I would take the filter cartridge from the ten gal at home, place it in a freezer bag of aquarium water from the 10 gal and take it to work and place it in the filter for the new 10 gal at work. be sure temp in the new tank is 76 to 80 degrees. you could also take a cup full of gravel from one of the tanks at home and place it in the toe section of nylon and add this too to either the filter compartment on the new tank,or push it down into the gravel of the new tank near the return from the filter. Couldn't hurt to add the bacterial supplement as well (Byron will like that). Be sure and use a good dechlorinator and after you add the material from the tanks at home,place the betta in the tank. Without a fish ,or fish food,the beneficial bacteria will begin to die off.

Calmwaters 09-02-2009 12:15 PM

If I take out the filter cartridge from the aquarium at home will it not mess up the balance of the aquarium it comes from?

willieturnip 09-02-2009 12:29 PM

You don't really need to. Betta's can live in a mug of piss from what I've heard.

MoneyMitch 09-02-2009 08:47 PM

there wont be any issue whatsoever with moving them to the new tank. all you have to do is use the same gravel and water so that your fish dont get a water shock if you use new water,.

Rohland 09-02-2009 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willieturnip (Post 237262)
You don't really need to. Betta's can live in a mug of piss from what I've heard.

live hardly... suffer incredibly!
Its true bettas can live in small amounts of water. But its not healthy for them.

Before we get a debate. I know urine is mostly water, however your urine has toxic elements in it.. Thats why we don't drink our own urine, and those toxins are probably not good for a fish either. Not saying you were going to be putting your fish in it, but it was a horrible example to use is what i am getting at.

1077 09-03-2009 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calmwaters (Post 237256)
If I take out the filter cartridge from the aquarium at home will it not mess up the balance of the aquarium it comes from?

Only if the aquarium at home is new as well. Bacteria gathers on everything in the tank, the glass,gravel,decorations,plants either real or artificial. If what you fear would happen (could in new tank) no one would be able to replace their filter cartridges without the tank crashing. Now if the ten gal at home was using sponge filter for filtration,, then yes ,you would be removing a large portion of bacteria by removing the sponge.
if it will ease your concern,, just use approx. one cup of gravel from one of the tanks at home and place it as described either in the filter compartment of the new tank or, push it into the gravel of new tank. Is impotant to keep the material (gravel) wet in aquarium water (not tapwater) and the tank at work should be set up with filter and heater running before introducing the material and fish. Simply leave the fish in the 2.5 gal until all is ready.

1077 09-03-2009 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willieturnip (Post 237262)

:roll: This statement ,considering the tiny bowls,vases,and other small unfiltered and often unheated enviornments that people subject these fish to is very nearly true. However,, the fish seldom live for long.

Calmwaters 09-03-2009 09:26 AM

Thank you all for your help. I brought the filter from my 10 gal at home in today and it is now in the tank I also added some of the bacteria supplement that I have just in case.;-)
I only have one thing to say as far as the comment about the Betta living in its pee. How would you like to live in a bowl full of your pee. :cry::roll:

Kindest Regards,
Amanda