Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   Shrimp, snails and Ferts (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/shrimp-snails-ferts-283689/)

marshallsea 10-10-2013 11:27 PM

Shrimp, snails and Ferts

Do plant ferts, like Seachem Flourish, harm snails and shrimp?

Gilljay 10-13-2013 11:09 AM

Fertilizers and shrimp

Quote:

Originally Posted by marshallsea (Post 3186161)
Do plant ferts, like Seachem Flourish, harm snails and shrimp?

Hello Marshallsea :-)
I keep some (unknown number) of Red Cherry Shrimp in my planted tank and have found that any Dennerle product is OK. I put a couple of squirts of S7 Vitamix in each week as it also has a fish conditioner in it.
Never tried Seachem as it's not widely available here in France.
Good luck

Agent13 10-13-2013 12:23 PM

It has been known to hurt some shrimp..but not always. I would test on a tank with a smaller amount of shrimp before you try it and wipe out all of what you have ..Snails are fine with flourish. But more importantly what type of shrimp are you keeping..or planning to keep? Some are more sensitive then others

toonflower 10-13-2013 08:49 PM

Are the rapidly-population small black hard-shell snails causing the cloudiness in my tank

marshallsea 10-27-2013 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent13 (Post 3199041)
It has been known to hurt some shrimp..but not always. I would test on a tank with a smaller amount of shrimp before you try it and wipe out all of what you have ..Snails are fine with flourish. But more importantly what type of shrimp are you keeping..or planning to keep? Some are more sensitive then others

I don't have shrimp yet. I need to know which shrimp are hardiest before I buy. They need to be ok with Flourish.

marshallsea 10-27-2013 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gilljay (Post 3198505)
Hello Marshallsea :-)
I keep some (unknown number) of Red Cherry Shrimp in my planted tank and have found that any Dennerle product is OK. I put a couple of squirts of S7 Vitamix in each week as it also has a fish conditioner in it.
Never tried Seachem as it's not widely available here in France.
Good luck

Do you have an overpopulation problem with the RC's?

Gilljay 10-27-2013 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marshallsea (Post 3294745)
Do you have an overpopulation problem with the RC's?

Hello Marshallsea,
I have no problem with overpopulation as I have other fish in my tank. Nothing bigger than a Rasbora though so their mouths are too small for the grown shrimp but they probably eat the eggs and any tiny babies who stray from cover too soon. I have Java moss on a Mangrove root and a Dennerle three tube hide.
My friend has bigger fish though and as her cherries keep disappearing so I can only guess they are the culprits.
If I really squint and watch carefully I can usually count about twenty Red Cherries of varying sizes so for me that's a good number.
It's wonderful to watch them in amongst the fish - it's like at the sales. They just barge through a shoal of Tetras and are totally ignored by everyone. Well worth the 4 euros each that I paid for the original gang.

marshallsea 10-27-2013 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toonflower (Post 3202249)
Are the rapidly-population small black hard-shell snails causing the cloudiness in my tank

Need more info about your tank-size , age, inhabitants?