Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (
-   -   Growing Moss on Bogwood (

borneosucker 09-01-2009 10:18 AM

Growing Moss on Bogwood
Hi fellas,

Wow, it's been a long time since I made my last post here....

I was busy for the whole month of August, and also still busy, with my ongoing project. Been spending lot's of time building my backyard farm...anyway here's a new video I made on growing moss on bogwood. I was motivated to make a video of it coz of query from fellow hobbyist. Anyway it's on my blog, go check it out...
Growing Moss on Bogwood

Let me know what you think, Cheers :)

Byron 09-01-2009 12:20 PM

Nice work, good info and well done video. Congrats.

borneosucker 09-01-2009 12:23 PM

Hi Byron, thanks for the comments :) appreciate it

Cheers :D

teddyzaper 09-06-2009 02:16 AM

nice i think u inspired me to put some bogwood in my future tank and put some moss on it.

borneosucker 09-06-2009 06:11 AM

hi teddyzaper,

haha, I'm glad it inspired you.....I wish you success in growing them :)

MonsiuerPercy1 09-06-2009 07:32 AM

I strapped some java moss to driftwood a couple of months ago. At first it didn't look so great but now it looks wonderful. The video shows sewing thread, which works fine. I used fishing line, but I don't think it makes any difference. Great video!

borneosucker 09-06-2009 07:49 AM

hi MonsiuerPercy1, thanks for the comment :-D line is also another good material use to tie aquatic plants :-)
I'm planning to start a nano moss only tank, using the species of moss I have......I will make a video on it, when I start my scape :-)

teddyzaper 09-06-2009 01:48 PM

oh also do u take the string of when its stuck on? because if u dont im picking a color that looks natural. if u do take it off ill pick a bright color

aunt kymmie 09-06-2009 01:54 PM

I use fishing line also, as it's colorless.

Borneo, nice video, I always enjoy your "productions" :-D
Where does one get "spikey" moss? What species of moss is this??

borneosucker 09-06-2009 09:11 PM

I think it would be a little tedious to remove the string, coz once the moss starts to grow, they will attach to almost anything they touches, so I would rather leave it as it is......but I think in the end it would come to personal preference either to leave it or remove :-)

Here's one of my early moss on bogwood (this one is java moss)....once it starts to grow and spread, the string is totally covered. Same goes to the Java fern above :-)

aunt kymmie
Thanks for the compliment aunt:-D

Let's see....according to scientific name for spiky moss is Taxiphyllum sp.
Aquatic Moss. How to grow Aquatic Moss. Info on Java Moss, Christmas Moss, Taiwan Moss, Peacock Moss, Stringy Moss

and I got the moss online from local hobbyist....haha, I've been obtaining my plants this way, ordering online, coz my LFS don't have much variety :|