Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   10 G Stocking (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/10-g-stocking-28339/)

Malcolm Little 09-01-2009 08:46 AM

10 G Stocking

I found a 10 G used for a great price. I'm holding out for a larger tank to have a fully aquatic fish tank.

For the 10 G, I'm thinking about fire belly newts, terrestial hermit crabs, aquatic red clawed crabs, or aquatic African dwarf frogs for this one. The brackish red clawed crabs seem the best match with my water, which is hard well water that runs through a water softener. Are the amphibians out with even trace salt? Would an electric blue crayfish (lobster) be cramped in a 10 G?

I've heard that the terrestial hermit crabs are rather inactive and spend a lot of time buried in their sand or coconut husk substrate; is that what folks have experienced here?

Thank you.

Malcolm Little 09-02-2009 04:13 PM

I should note that my local fish store has red clawed crabs. I like them, but they are pricier ($9 each and I'd want 6), and they definitely need brackish (few plants--and they'd eat 'em anyways) and land access.

They have a red colored crayfish, which I would like as a fully aquatic species with plants. I would have an easier time preventing escapes here: it's just bigger.

They do have the dwarf frogs, too. Again, a nice little option, and I think my kids would like this.

aunt kymmie 09-07-2009 04:55 PM

I don't have any advice as I'm not familiar with crabs, newts, frogs, etc. but I was curious as to what you decided upon??

Malcolm Little 09-07-2009 08:22 PM

I still need to clean the tank and get it running and cycled. I also need to block some larger cut outs on the back (I'm thinking of duct taping it on both sides--to leave nothing that an inhabitant could get stuck to).

I'm leaning crayfish. 75 out of 100 sites I've read say a 10 g is enough for one crayfish and a handful of tough dithers (I'm thinking white clouds, something that never goes on the bottom). It would mean getting to plant the tank and my hard water would benefit the crayfish's shell.

I love the crabs, but doing brackish and giving land access might be hard to do well.

stiltman 09-07-2009 08:51 PM

I had dwarf frogs for a while. My vote is for them. Big winners with the kids and you'd probably enjoy them too.

Or, how about this???? A dwarf puffer?

My wife is not at all interested in the hobby, but her favorite fish that I have had is hands down the dwarf puffer.

Good luck and keep us posted.

stiltman 09-07-2009 08:51 PM

P.S.

Dwarf puffer needs no salt at all, but is best kept in a species tank.

Malcolm Little 09-07-2009 09:15 PM

I like the idea of dwarf puffers (assuming you mean the figure 8's), but I'll never find them in my community.

I also am a little afraid of the puffers and red clawed crabs in that there are such debates on the potentially brackish. Mollies, too.

I'd bet the salt and puffers issue rages on, and you've no doubt been quite successful with them in full fresh. The guy at the LFS told me he'd had red clawed crabs with no land access and no salt successfully for years.

It all makes me gun shy.

6998 09-08-2009 04:31 PM

I had One guppy, one platty, 1 male betta, 4 corys and 3 silver hatchets. Nice combo i think

Malcolm Little 09-08-2009 05:36 PM

That does sound great for a 10, 6998.

I keep wavering between African Dwarf Frogs, red clawed crayfish, and a crayfish though :)

Still, the male betta option is a nice one.