Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Albino oscar lethargic (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/albino-oscar-lethargic-28252/)

oscarfrenzy 08-30-2009 09:27 PM

Albino oscar lethargic

Hi, i currently have 2 oscars that are around a year and a few months old.
They eat a variety of food ranging from the regular cichlid pellets to cucummbers, lettuce leaves and occasionally feeder fish. About 6 weeks ago we bought 6 feeder fish from Petsmart and put them in the aquarium, the next day we saw 4 still swimming around in there, and they stayed in there untill yesterday when i finally took them out. Now 1 of the oscars (i have an albino and red oscar) is acting very lethargic, hes barely eating and spends most of the day hiding on the ground behind a large pipe that is in the aquarium, when ever we walk past the aquarium he does come up to greet us but but then returns down to the bottom, we've had the water tested at petsmart a couple times and everything seems to be fine accept the for nitrates slightly above 0.

1077 08-31-2009 01:44 AM

What size tank? what size filter? what temp? how often do you change the water and how much?
I might consider getting a test kit rather than relying on fish store to test the water.The strip (paper) style tests that many fish stores use, are not all that accurate. With your own test kit ,such as the API freshwater master kit, You can monitor the water without relying on fish store employees who may or may not be able to perform proper test or read results correctly.
Water in your tank should test 0 for ammonia,0 for nitrites.and nitrAtes are best kept under 30ppm.Unless the tank that the oscars are in is a new tank,, It is very difficult to have near zero reading for NitrAtes.
Feeder fish bought at fish stores are not a wise choice of food for your fish. They are often times kept hundreds to a tank and as a result,, they can become sick due to the poor conditions that they are kept in. If just one feeder fish in the tank at the store is sick, then all of them could be subject to sickness as well. You then buy these sick feeder fish and plop them into your tank and the parasite or bacteria is transmitted to your fish.Much better to stick with prepared foods that are much healthier for your fish. If you can answer the first few questions at the beginning ,,perhaps we can help identify ,or eliminate,possible problems before they become a much larger issue.
In the meantime,, a couple 20 to 25 percent water changes a week say, monday and thursday using a dechlorinator for ther new water, couldn't hurt anything.

oscarfrenzy 08-31-2009 11:28 AM

The oscars are in a 55 gallon tank they are each around 6inches long, i have 2 penguin 350 filters in there. The temperature is around 76-78, and I do around 30 gallons of freshwater every weeks.

Every night i put them to "sleep" when i turn both the lights off and i place a cloth on to of the aquarium and in the morning i put the light on and i remove the cloth.

This morning my albino was up and around swimming (and getting chased by the other oscar as usual =])

So he seems to be a little bit better, i guess I'll find out at feeding time tonight. I suspect it might now be just a "battle wound."

Also where else could i buy feeder fish since i dont feed them those very often so i dont see th need to breed them myself.

1077 08-31-2009 12:53 PM

I still think twice weekly 15 gal water changes couldn,'t hurt. I would expect almost two year old oscars to be larger than six inches. If the one is being picked on ,then that could explain why it remains on the bottom or in hiding as you described. Maybe two or three clay pots or other type of refuge could be provided for each fish. This might help with bullying issue. I would keep my eye out for a used or new tank larger than the 55 gal. The fish would have more room. I have seen adult Oscars that were ten inches to twelve inches long and still growing.
I would look to someone breeding small fish if you insist on using feeder fish. Personally, I don't see the need. Feeder fish provide little in the way of nutrition (mostly fat) unless the feeders are fed a diet high in vitamins.

oscarfrenzy 08-31-2009 08:59 PM

Ok it has been their dinner time and the albino still has not eaten, the other oscar seems just fine

RLHam3 09-07-2009 10:49 AM

2 oscars in a 55 is crouded. 1 oscar needs a 55gal. a pair of breeding oscars need a 75. 2 non breeding oscars need an even bigger tank. i think a very likely reason that one of your oscars is being lethargic and hiding is that he is being beat up.

Verse 34k 09-07-2009 01:41 PM

For two oscars, you need at least 125g.

But I shouldn' t be talking. I kept a breeding pair of oscars in a 55g once :P

Anyways, never feed goldfish (feeders) since they are high in a chemical called Thiaminase which breaks down Vitamin b1 (thiamine) a essential nutrient your fish need.

oscarfrenzy 09-07-2009 04:38 PM

Since no one else here tried to help me out I had to ask the people at petsmart, i bought some medication named macaryn 2 and treated as it said, did water changes and kept an eye on both of them, unfortunately earlier today my albino oscar passed away =(. Now my Red Oscar is swimming around the tank looking for his friend but cannot find him and is looking sad, e despite all this looks and eats healthily.

1077 09-08-2009 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oscarfrenzy (Post 239802)
Since no one else here tried to help me out I had to ask the people at petsmart, i bought some medication named macaryn 2 and treated as it said, did water changes and kept an eye on both of them, unfortunately earlier today my albino oscar passed away =(. Now my Red Oscar is swimming around the tank looking for his friend but cannot find him and is looking sad, e despite all this looks and eats healthily.

Are you kidding me? I recommended adding some places for the fish that was getting bullied to hide,I recommended twice weekly water changes,, for you would not/could not,relay info on water parameters,I recommended STOP feeding with feeder fish,I recommended larger tank to help minimize bullying by providing more room. You indicated a lethargic fish and only later did you mention "battlewound" This indicates that fish were not getting along due to any number of reasons but I suspect crowding to be primary cause. You now believe the remaining Oscar misses his friend that was getting bullied?:roll:

swedishfish 09-20-2009 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oscarfrenzy (Post 239802)

:roll: