Tropical Fish Keeping banner

RO/DI water

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  xdeputy101 
#1 ·
I'm going to purchase a RO/DI unit, but in my smaller house in florida i don't really have room for storage of RO/DI water, the LFS guy which i believe most of what he says. He says that if i store my premade water in my garage that the higher temps would affect the quality of water, but isn't RO/DI water Pure? also i know i would have to cool the water before adding it to my tank too.. i also saw a write-up that had 2 wraping paper bins piped together thats 20gals which could fit next to my tank, but whats there stability?? i have one but it holds wrapping paper lol.

#3 ·
I know from recent experience that stored water wll have algea and mold growth then nitrites will spill into your water. The lack of oxygen and circulation are the cause. I actually had to bleach and rinse and rinse ... my storage jugs. I also live in fl and understand your wanting to use r/o water.I normally get mine from a pet store (big al's) but itis a good distance from me so i found a glacier water vending machine at publix and i've been usig that water for my water changes for a couple months now and have had no problems my plants are doing well in it as well ( mishandled and r/o can leach minerals from plants). Yes i tested the vendors water and found 0 n'rates, n'rites, ammonia w/ ph 7.0. I haven't had the hardness checked yet but the ph remains fairly stable.I looked into r/o systems and found them to be high maintenance and the smaller ones take all day to make the water still foster & smith sell an elbow tap type...so expensive! so much fuss ! Good luck which ever way you go.

#4 · (Edited)
it will be a FOWLR setup and im not sure on the fish yet?? but he did show me the difference with dissovled elements between the tap water, RO, and RO/DI. and obvously DI was the purest from his unit. i think the unit he has which i've researched makes around 75 or 100GPD. which once i setup i couldnt amagine using that much water in 1 day. also i was thinking of using a Blue 55 plastic drum, the ones i found said they are food grade??

#5 ·
If you have the time and money, Go get a whirlpool at Lowes. I paid 195 bucks for it and its great. it will do 25 gallons a day. I have to keep harvesting water for water changes but its not bad and pretty easy to install. the bigger ones your talking about will be around 800 to 1000 bucks. way to much for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.