Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Mold on individual grains of sand?

2K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  willow 
#1 ·
So i have cleaned my tank roughly every 2 weeks, and i noticed that recently i've been getting mold stuck to the individual grains of sand. they don't come off with a normal tank clean, I was just wondering if there was some other method i could try to get this sand completely clean.

Here's a picture!

Granite Sand

thanks!

See less See more
#9 ·
It looks to be about the same color. and i think i just noticed some bright green algae growing on my pump.. which if its the same stuff as in saltwater, i remember its gonna be a pain to get rid of -_-. But ya, the stuff on the sand seems like it sticks to it much harder than the heater. Not sure if thats just cause of the surface or if it really is different

#10 ·
I am betting its the same and it just sticks better to the sand. Also betting its Diatoms. Its not uncommon to get them in the first couple of months after setting up a freshwater tank. I had them in my first tank I setup. They will go away pretty soon unless there is another under laying problem such as silicate in your tab water.

Until then I would wipe what you can get off the filter and as for the sand you can (if you have a plain gravel vacuum) siphon it out by starting the siphon and pulling off the big tube at the end. You should have water just going through the hose. Stick the hose just above the sand it will come out into the bucket. If you are using a python well I suppose you could do the same but then you get sand in your sink.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.