Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   Question from a newbie re: dogs & aquariums (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/question-newbie-re-dogs-aquariums-28215/)

cookieshark 08-30-2009 11:02 AM

Question from a newbie re: dogs & aquariums

Hello all! We are Erika (cookie) and my 11 year old son Isaac(shark). I've always loved fish and have dreamed of keeping an aquarium for years. Now my son is just as eager for an aquarium as I.

I'm doing lots of research,but haven't seen this particular question addressed....will a large dog in the house scare or stress the fish? My husband has a HUGE Neapolitan Mastiff, who is curious and boisterous. I don't want to start an aquarium if there's any chance that he might bother it or scare the fish.

Any insight from y'all would be most welcome.

Erika

Twistersmom 08-30-2009 11:25 AM

Hello Erika and Isaak! Welcome to the forum!

I do not see the dog as being a problem. I have a goofy 2 year old lab, that runs around like a maniac. The fish are not bothered by him.

Glad to hear you and your sun are going into the fish Hobby together.

zyglet1 08-30-2009 11:30 AM

The fish will adapt to the dog as much as the dog will adapt to the fish... you can provide the fish hiding spots so that they can adjust and feel safe when you first get them. Just make sure that the fish tank is not in a spot where it can be damaged by the dogs tail, etc. enjoy.

cookieshark 08-30-2009 12:55 PM

Thanks, that's reassuring. I've wanted fish forever and Isaac has been obsessed with sharks and all things with fins since he was a baby....probably because his nursery had an underwater theme!

aunt kymmie 08-31-2009 12:11 PM

Welcome to the forum! I have dogs and fish and it's no problem. I think that it's great that the two of you are embarking in this hobby together. :-)

willow 09-10-2009 02:11 PM

warm welcome to you and your son.
i hope you'll be very happy here. :)

Krinedawg 09-14-2009 01:54 AM

Hello Erica and Isac, Welcome to the FishForum.

If this doesn't answer your question nothing will, I have two children as you can see, a 144 lb German Shepherd, a Brittany Spaniel and now 8 cats. (anyone want a kitten) Although the dogs love to drink the water I'm using to change in the fish tanks they don't bother with the fish.(they do however like to lick the tank) The cats on the other hand, are just waiting for the moment I'm not looking to go for a swim, they watch the tanks as much as I do. The fish are fine and I think they enjoy teasing the cats.

You will be just fine with the Mastiff licking the tank every now then.

Have fun with your aquarium.