Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   What Type Of Fish Do I Have? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/what-type-fish-do-i-have-281913/)

Savannah 10-07-2013 08:16 PM

What Type Of Fish Do I Have?

2 Attachment(s)
I bought a "Panda Goby" to add to my 10 gallon planted tank but im not positive that is what species it is. I have tried to research it but I haven't been able to find anything! It is about an inch long. Is it called by a different name?

Agent13 10-07-2013 11:04 PM

maybe what is actually commonly referred to as a panda garra. They like river style current so make sure the set up has some current. Scientific name is Garra flavatra. I most certainly hope this isn't a Panda Goby..because thats a salt water fish..luckily it looks more like what I first stated.

BWG 10-07-2013 11:15 PM

Actually looks like a species of bumblebee goby (Brachygobius genus) to me. I don't know them well enough to venture a guess on exactly which species though.

Agent13 10-07-2013 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackwaterguy (Post 3167233)
Actually looks like a species of bumblebee goby (Brachygobius genus) to me. I don't know them well enough to venture a guess on exactly which species though.

but there is no yellow on this fish that I can see

BWG 10-08-2013 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent13 (Post 3167473)
but there is no yellow on this fish that I can see

I see a bit of yellowish coloring, more so in the top picture. Plus the head shape definitely made me think bumblebee goby. The mouth is upturned and not the sucker type that panda garras have.

Brachygobius
panda garra

What do you think?

ao 10-08-2013 01:27 AM

it's definitely not a panda garra XD And sure doesnt look like any bumblebee gobies I've ever seen :(

I think what's reallly throwing me off is the fact that nine of the stripes are connected o_O

I know new gobies have been imported into the hobby recently.... but other than that I know nothing about gobies TAT

good luck with ID!

Posted via Mobile Device

Agent13 10-08-2013 01:51 AM

I've always liked goby's. Wanted salt ones in my saltwater tank when I was a kid but my mom wouldn't let me :lol:
But yes, I stand by the panda garra. I feel pretty sure thats what I'm seeing here.

Savannah 10-08-2013 04:45 AM

I know this isn't a panda garra , I have 2 panda garas in my 20 gallon and these fish are very different. it does have the look of a goby and it has an up turned mouth and not a sucker mouth. It was in freshwater when I purchased it so im pretty sure its fresh water. I is black and white but it does have a small tint of yellow at the base of its tail. the only thing I can think of is that its a hybrid, which stink bc I would rly love to know more about it.