Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   After 16 years, it's coming to an end ... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/after-16-years-its-coming-end-2814/)

NewBee 01-28-2007 06:14 AM

After 16 years, it's coming to an end ...

Hi Fish Lovers,
My name is Derek and I am new to your site. I have been rearing a pair of Shubunkins for the past 16 years. The male passed away some 6 years ago, but the beautiful 'lady' is now about to join her partner. :(
Unfortunately 'lady' has been very sick for the past week, sinking to the bottom of the bowl and not interested in food anymore. Parts of her fins and long beautiful tail is darkening; so is part of body scales - I take it that there is no longer blood circulation to those parts. She has been gasping for awhile now and it hurts to see her suffering. I am therefore looking at euthanasia to end her suffering. After reading thru the 'best' option of instantaneously clubbing it with one swift blow, I find that very very difficult to carry out, esp. to a pet that I've grown to love over the past 16 years.
So can some one please advise me an alternative option - I have thought of dropping her into ice cold freezing water, or even perhaps apply clover oil first, then drop her gently into the ice-cold freezing water.
I'm desperate to end her suffering but can not carry out the clubbing act.
Any response urgently would be gratefully appreciated.
Thank you.
Derek :cry:

Lauri 01-28-2007 06:45 AM

First let me say welcome to fishforum glad you could join us. I am very sorry to hear about your fish I can only imagine your pain having to see her like that after keeping her for so long. There is some information here http://www.fishforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=943 that may help you.

musho3210 01-28-2007 10:02 AM

Im very sorry to hear that, you said she was in a bowl? Well bowls arent fit for goldfish. THat may be bad news but i have some good news, if you could find a goldfish pond for her she might start to heal.

Matt 01-28-2007 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musho3210
Im very sorry to hear that, you said she was in a bowl? Well bowls arent fit for goldfish. THat may be bad news but i have some good news, if you could find a goldfish pond for her she might start to heal.

Goldfish arent meant for bowls.But i would try what musho said.

NewBee 01-28-2007 08:28 PM

After 16 years ... thank you for the replies

I have just bought a small bottle of Clove oil, and will assess the situation when I get home tonight. I do not think 'lady' will survive a fish pond as she is getting weaker by the day and there's very little movement with her fins nor energy to swim around. I am also concerned that she may be stressed out in a new pond environment, or even worst being attacked by other fishes as I've seen how healthy ones pick on the sick ones (natural selection of the fittest) in big ponds.
I will endeavour to provide her a painless end by using the Clove oil to put her to sleep, and then gently slip her into ice-cold freezing water. I intend to bury her close to her partner and plant a rose plant in rememberance of the wonderful times she has provided me and my family. We will definitely miss her.
Regards and thanks to all.

Matt 01-28-2007 08:35 PM

Re: After 16 years ... thank you for the replies

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewBee
I will endeavour to provide her a painless end by using the Clove oil to put her to sleep, and then gently slip her into ice-cold freezing water. I intend to bury her close to her partner and plant a rose plant in rememberance of the wonderful times she has provided me and my family. We will definitely miss her.
Regards and thanks to all.

Aaaaahhhhhhhhh I Feel Sad Now.
How Sweet.He loves his Fishy.
Things Happen.......

musho3210 01-28-2007 08:40 PM

what about using vodka, goldfish can survive freezing conditions sometimes

Matt 01-28-2007 08:42 PM

Not if he uses Clove Oil First.